Volume 1: Chapter 31-40

[Chapter 31]

I felt cold when I woke up the next day.

I don’t know what the owner was thinking, not lighting a fire in the morning, causing the entire room to feel cold. Not to mention the cold wind blowing in from the gaps in the damaged window. The entire room was particularly cold.

I rubbed my eyes and looked down at Leah on my chest. Leah was curled up like a ball with a smile on her face. I had pulled Leah into my embrace without being aware, and Leah pulled the blanket over herself, also unaware, thereby exposing my back.

It’s no wonder why it felt so cold.

I saw Leah’s small face on my chest as she snored quietly. While she still had some baby fat, her potential to be a beauty and her perfect features had taken shape.

Her small clavicle made her neck appear perfectly long and slender. Her pure white, gentle and warm shoulders were akin to precious elephant trunks. Her small shoulders were shaking slowly, along with her body.

She’s just a kid, but her breasts were already taking shape, like poached eggs. Her thick yet smooth legs were curled up to her chest. Her plump hands gripped my chest gently. She rested her head on my chest, as though she was relishing the warmth of my body.

I stroked her head softly as I looked at my young daughter, whom I haven’t known for long but love deeply. I’ve never had a child, but I felt valued and found warm love through her laughter. It was the first time I had such a strong and clear desire to protect and love, as though she was my biological daughter.

‘But can I provide her with what’s necessary for her to grow up happily?’ I don’t know how to be a father because I’ve never been one before. However, the sense of bliss and tension in my heart tormented me as I watched Leah sleep in my arms right now.

Leah is so cute and pretty, but she’s just a child right now. Moreover, she’s not a human, but a demon. Demons are humanity’s nemesis. Her situation was more perilous since she happened to be the Demon King’s daughter, as well.

‘Can she live here with humanity? No. A better question would be, how am I going to allow Leah to live happily in human society? Not only does Leah need food, she needs to receive a proper education, and adopt the correct world outlook, and views on life and values.’

‘Most importantly, when will humanity stop hunting down demons?’

‘But what can I provide Leah? I can’t provide her with anything. Everything Leah needs is at Veirya’s side. Only Veirya has the connections and resources to provide Leah with everything she needs. An education, resources, status and respects are things I can’t provide Leah with.’

‘But despite Veirya being able to provide her with those things, Veirya, being oblivious to the world, doesn’t know how to make use of her connections and resources. Veirya would only be able to watch Leah grow up in the desolate north. So in the end, Leah would be relegated to growing up here in the north and never getting to see those flowers.’

‘Veirya is a soldier. She knows how to achieve victory, but not how to use that victory.’

‘I can’t watch all of that happen.’

These big concerns and anxious matters made me feel really irritated because I felt really ashamed.

I had never felt like this before. This was the first time I had felt so tired.

I protected Leah, yet I can’t provide her with what she needs. The clearer this became, the more her smile made my heart ache.

‘I must find a way to provide Leah with everything she needs.’