Entry 001: Origins of Hazel?

How did you come up with dear Hazel? Is she just pure fiction that came out of the brilliant head of yours, or is she based off of someone you know?

-TheFeralWolf

Man, I apologize for not replying in a snap of a finger. Gomenasai gomenasai gomenasai~~ But (!) thank you so much for your question :)) 

Have a fine day, kind soul.

___________________

Gather round, kids! Grab your banjos and maracas and marshmallows as we crowd around the toasty fireplace for another story time!

Let’s paint a scene here.

Another kid. Not too tall. Or shabby. Or small.

About five feet tall.

Your average everyday student who walked out the door offering the world good intentions and a public transport taker. And hey, they wouldn’t mind doing community service occasionally too.

What a Mary Sue, you must be thinking, What other crap must I tolerate from this kid?

Now before I give you anymore additional crap that you probably wouldn’t even give a fuck about, I present to you another small fact.

They were getting their living lungs and irony blood beaten the shit out of them by a whole gang of mobster wannabes.

What a typical Hollywood movie shootout, but lets ignore differences between reality and fiction as we confront this bashing before our eyes.

Now the question that determines your future fraction … just kidding, what a lame reference.

But honestly, questioning your humanity, would you help them out if you saw this play out before you? Would you look around, suspicious that this may be some prank YouTube shooting or reality show for your local channel?

Or an easier option B, walk out of it.

Honestly speaking, because I like being honest to you all, it was more likely that I was an option B taker. I won’t deny the fact that I’m guilty of the crime of cowardice. Oh how I’d love to chuck Balisong knives at cocks and go purging the streets of evil with a simple RAWR! but it ain’t happening, because I wouldn’t want to get hunted down the first night and end up living on life support for the rest of my days, you know?

Maybe something's wrong with me.

Man, what a coward.

How does this link with Hazel?

That’s easy.

Let’s watch the world from this cynical, world hating freak.

She’s strong, no fucks given, and swears like charity. I won’t even start with the Balisongs. Amazing how gifted she was around the glistening showy knives, wasn’t it?

And if you throw this girl into the scenario of the kid getting bashed up by a few fellas, you didn’t even need a well-trained psychologist to map out how this fairy tale was ending.

She sounded like Wonder Woman, hell yeah, she sounded like the perfect package Marvel or any other comic company could present to you all. But that was unrealistic, wasn’t it?

So you throw in human emotions.

How this unexpectedly skilled girl couldn’t handle Home Ec, or flipping image-perfect omelettes like Master Chef, or making normal friends and living life out normally.

Hazel wasn’t based off someone I know, because from where I’m currently standing, I’m surrounded by cowards, including myself. What a horrible rash judgement slipping off my tongue with no second thought.

A better way of saying it was, my vision is still way too limited to see my heroes, my personal role models.

I saw none from the rock I’m living under.

So cynical of me.

You have four year old prodigies reciting the entire periodic table. You have children composers aweing the shit out of classical admirers. You have all these things evolving around in today’s society that doesn’t fail to stomp all over your self-esteem and the rice-grain of pride your parents occasionally have for you.

And then there’s me personally.

What did I accomplish in my many years after clawing out of the womb except that red word chart award back in the first grade?

Nothing.

But that’s good.

I still have dreams.

Dreams are good, aren't they? 

I want to be brave.

I want to be strong.

I want to have the type of humour Hazel has, and don’t cook under the rare glares finally pried away from their Instagram apps.

How did I come up with Hazel?

Simple.

I’ve always wanted to be someone like her, for a very very long time.

Unrealistic, but fact.