episode three part one

THE CRAINS WON'T TAKE YOUR BLOOD MONEY STEVE.

Hannah CrainSteve's Shitty ApartmentThen, 6 Years Ago

Hannah Crain
Steve's Shitty Apartment
Then, 6 Years Ago.

Shirley Crain was pregnant. Again, she was pregnant again. Her second pregnancy seemed to take an even more emotional toll on her, for her emotions were all over the place all the time. She was stood while the rest of them – apart from Luke – were seated. Hannah sat next to Nell, the two girls holding each other like a lifeline. They knew that a fight was about to go down.

"It wasn't exactly easy to hear but, Shirley hit on some things that have been nagging at me.
And, well, you were right." Steve began. "I was trying to take ownership of something that doesn't belong just to me."

Shirley stopped pacing to look at Steve. "So you're pulling the book?"

Steve shook his head, lifting a hand to take off his glasses. "I'm offering to share the book." There was a few beats of silence before he continued. "I'll give each of you eight percent of any royalties, and if it sells as well as my publisher thinks it will-"

"Jesus, Steve." Shirley cut him off.

"I'm trying to do the right thing."

"The right thing? What, is the guilt getting in the way of your new lifestyle? You and Leigh feeling awkward while you pack up for California?"

"Whatever." Steve dismissed. "This could be a significant amount of-"

"Whatever?" Shirley scoffed. She took a five second pause before shooting a death glare towards the oldest Crain. "It's all about the money for you. We're well aware."

Steve only rolled his eyes, "of course it's about the money." His voice was becoming more hostile but he wasn't shouting, yet.

"I mean, you guys have read it, right?" Shirley asked, suddenly turning around on the rest of her siblings. Hannah could feel Nell nodding and she felt herself nodding too.

"I haven't." Theo interpreted before Shirley could start slinging insults at their brother again. "Why bother? I've heard the various versions my whole life." She looked around the room. "I've heard Dad's tabloid horror show, I've heard Luke and Nellie's ghost stories. No offense, Nellie."

"Okay." Nell frowned. Hannah pulled her tighter into her hug. But Theo wasn't done.

"I've heard you and Steven do your best James Randi impression where you say how crazy everybody was. Just," She paused, looking over at her twin. "I just would rather focus on living my actual life right now." Theo then leant back in the chair she was sat in, shrugging her shoulders in an exaggerated expression. "Maybe I'll just wait for the paperback."

The silence in the room was deafening.

"We're not taking your money." Shirley's voice was strong, command-like. No one said anything. "None of us."