τέσσερα

"Newt!"
The blonde could hear Thomas screaming his name as he ran through the tree-line to the road a couple dozen feet away. He almost stumbled, too focused on getting out of there. Newt wasn't crazy and he was sure of it. Or, sort of.

The trees now around him shifted, flickering as if they were projections. That's when one of them was lifted in the air and dropped in his direct path. Newt didn't stop, though, determined that the drugs were making him crazy. He attempted to sprint through it as if there was nothing there, putting even more effort into his legs and arms moving. He smacked into the wood unexpectedly with a crack. He groaned as he felt his rib crack from the impact. When hands gently grabbed his shoulders to make sure he was okay, he flinched, instinctively rolling to the side. That's when Newt realized he couldn't physically get up with something definitely broken in his chest. He pathetically laid on his stomach, not being able to see much but the grassy floor, and the roots of trees that weren't there when he arrived. Thomas entered his peripheral vision and Newt almost relaxed, that is, until he saw Brenda, who once again, looked wiped out, sweat dripping on her forehead.
"Gods, you shank! Why did you have to run so fast AND make me use my powers?" 
She gasped for air, coughing as she did. Thomas smiled lightly when he glanced at her. She'd be okay.
At this point, Newt had just accepted his fate. Thomas lightly rolled him over, his face full of concern.
"I'm gonna look at your ribs, see how they are, okay?"
For some reason, Newt nodded, ashamedly comfortable with him.
When he felt his slightly warm hands touch the skin under his shirt, he blushed, wanting to sink through the dirt. Thomas frowned as he looked down at his bruised chest. He glanced at Brenda with slight anger, because she could've been more gentle with him, and now they had to deliver Newt to the infirmary before he got to see any of camp. Newt groaned again, his rib throbbing as he tried to control his breathing.
"Ambrosia, Thomas," Brenda urged, nudging her bag. He nodded, unzipping it and grabbing a piece, splitting it in half. Newt shook his head when it was brought to his lips but didn't say anything. Thomas chuckled lightly.
"It's godly food. It heals us demigods, but too much can kill us. It'll make you feel better. I'd eat some to prove it's not poison but I could potentially shrivel into dust. Just trust me. You do, right?"
The blonde's hair fell into his eyes as he nodded slowly. Thomas moved it so it didn't cover his face that he was starting to fall for. Newt took a bite, and it was like Aunt Jane was still cooking her "world famous" grilled cheese in the kitchen on a Sunday afternoon. She would always blast Frank Sinatra on their old stereo and open the windows so that the sunlight shown through. Newt took it for granted, always rolling his eyes when he heard the tunes blasting.
It was unfair, really. Jane was all he had after his mom disappeared and his dad died when he was 9 after going literally insane. His stepmom sucked, too. Memories of her (Aunt Jane's) death flashed before him, the alley, the screams, the flashing lights from police cars. It was all too overwhelming, and pathetically, tears began to roll down his cheeks.
"Thomas? I thought ambrosia gave you good memories. Why is this kid crying?"
Thomas shrugged, leaning down in attempt to comfort him. He looked small as he curled into a ball, his ribs obviously healed somewhat.
A bush rustled beside them, taking them off guard, or Thomas at least. Brenda had trained herself to always be ready.
"We have to get him back inside the barrier. It isn't safe."
He nodded and began to silently urge Newt to get up. The boy didn't get the hint. Thomas groaned, literally lifting him up by his shoulders. Newt's eyes widened as he turned to face him as he stood, the tears stopping instantly.
"Which way is gonna be less awkward: piggyback ride or bridal style?"
Newt figured going on his back would leave him with at least a little bit of dignity, so he chose the first one, sniffling as he hopped onto Thomas' toned back with blush heating his cheeks. Thomas grinned at Brenda who smirked at them, trudging forward with her hands slightly raised outwards, ready to attack and defend against anything.

...

They could see the pine tree when the bushes rustled again nearby. Thomas glanced at Brenda as he attempted to walk faster, Newt still wrapped around him, now composed.
"Thomas. Run."
Her voice was stern. She glared daggers behind them at a now visible figure. The shadow resembled a woman with a big cap covering her hair. Newt looked back at her puzzled. The ground around her rippled as Brenda concentrated and the lady hissed. Thomas had started to run but Newt didn't want to leave her alone with that thing.
"Don't look back. I'll get you to where you need to go and then get help, okay?" Thomas sprinted past the tree, running towards a big cabin, passing dozens of other kids and teenagers. The door slammed open. Everyone in it looked up from what they were doing, staring at the two boys in fear.
"Will! I have to go talk to Chiron! This is the new kid, Newt. He had a cracked rib so we gave him some stuff. I'll be back, have fun!"
Thomas was out as fast as he was in. A boy who looked about 16 slowly got up, his sandy blonde hair swishing as he did. He grinned at Newt and guided him over to a bed. The cabin was surprisingly big, full of medical supplies and cots with various people laying on them lined up. A few blonde kids tended to the obvious patients. Just as Newt laid down on the cot, he heard Thomas yell.
"Chiron! There's a gorgon! We have to save Brenda!"
Newt could hear him panting, and gods he wanted to help, but the other boy held him down. He could hear the commotion outside, a few scattered people repeating the word "hydra" as if it was sacred. Metal was clanging as he assumed people were grabbing weapons, and he heard Thomas formulate a plan.

A few minutes later, after the yelling of war cries, it stopped, and through the window, Newt saw people filter back into the camp, looking slightly exhausted, the threat from before obviously eliminated. He looked out for Thomas who promised to come back to him. Newt was already feeling back to normal and just wanted to explore his new environment.
The door to the cabin swung open unexpectedly, and there stood Thomas looking glorious clutching Brenda so she didn't fall. The same boy, Will, rushed to meet them, catching and carrying her to a bed right next to Newt. Although he looked tired, Thomas smirked at Newt as he sat down beside him.
"I guess I have to explain a few things."