Spectrums of the Force.

Force-users, as stated previously in the last chapter, are characters who have a connection to the Force. The strength of this connection however, can vary wildly in individuals and species.

Force Adepts, those with light and/or dark ties to the Force, are some of the most common character types in Star Wars stories before students undergo training, whether they are self-taught of are enlisted as part of the Jedi Order or another traditional Force traditions.

At this stage, the Force Adept character has not been trained as a member of the traditional Jedi or Sith Orders or, in some rare cases like the Nightsisters of Dathomir, a character may have received some very basic training under a different Force tradition in a different culture on an out-of-the-way backwater world. The Lasart views on the 'Ashla' are an example of another name for the Force.

It is possible for Force Adepts to develop Force abilities without any formal training although these sorts of characters are similar to Ezra Bridger from Star Wars Rebels, where they have an innate ability and can do things that seem impossible to normal people but cannot explain how it happens. These characters most commonly appear during the Reign of the Empire.

Those accepted and trained as Jedi typically become either Jedi Consulars, those who combine diplomacy and scholarly pursuits in their mastery of the Force, or Jedi Guardians, those who combine physical and mental training in their mastery of the Force. More on the specifics of the Jedi Order structure is in a later chapter and will be discussed in greater depth there.

Dark and Fallen Jedi also exist during the time of the Empire as some of them have embraced the dark side whilst others have simply abandoned the teachings of the Jedi Code. A number of these Dark Jedi became the Inquisitors seen in Star Wars Rebels and Jedi: Fallen Order and work for the Empire whilst many Fallen Jedi and other Force-Sensitives who are aware of their powers remain in hiding from the Empire and await the time to re-emerge into the galaxy again.

This raises the questions concerning the light and dark sides of the Force and the grey areas in the middle.

It is widely accepted that there are Jedi, who represent the Lightside of the Force, and Sith, who represent the Darkside of the Force. But, as with anything in life, there are always grey areas of conflict and morality that drives a story forward.

The Force is very much like a spectrum, such as this one below:

Take the infrared side as a representation of the Darkside and the ultraviolet side as a representation of the Lightside and you can physically see how wide and varied the Force is in individuals

Take the infrared side as a representation of the Darkside and the ultraviolet side as a representation of the Lightside and you can physically see how wide and varied the Force is in individuals. Let's take the green in the middle above the marker 550nm and say that that is the dead middle ground of the Force, where those who have no Force ability and True Grey Jedi are.

To move towards the Ultraviolet side is to be more attuned with the Lightside of the Force whilst to move towards the Infrared side is to achieve the opposite effect and become a Darksider. 

Those who possess no attunement to the Force will always remain at the green 550nm mark, Jedi who are apart of and believe in the Jedi Order will always be close to the Ultraviolet side and Sith Lords will always remain close to the Infrared side. The previously mentioned Force adepts will sit around the 600nm or the 500nm, depending on whether they are Light or Dark Force Adepts.

Even within these Force Adepts, there are varying levels of adeptness. A 'normal person' would probably be described as being "as Force-Sensitive as a brick to the head" whilst another may be like Anakin Skywalker and "Chosen One" level powerful although this is a terrible storytelling idea/device for Star Wars stories as it is far too overdone with OP OCs.  

Characters, who are non-trained Jedi, with lower levels of Force Adeptness make for much more interesting characters than uber-powerful God level characters that frequently make an appearance in many Star Wars fanfictions.

Examples of low levels of Force Adeptness in the Star Wars universe (at least in my opinion) include Sabine Wren and Han Solo, who was suspected to have very minor Force capabilities that helped contribute to his seemingly unnatural luck throughout the Star Wars saga.

In my own novels, the Star Wars Rebellion Chronicles (SWRC) has several Force Adepts, including Neeran's adopted children, though they all vary wildly in their levels of Adeptness with Chopper being the most Adept and Janan being the least, though she is still slightly more Adept than most inhabitants of the galaxy.

Next, we delve into how one develops and obtains a readership that follows their books and series.

Feedback is greatly appreciated, and further topic suggestions are always open!