Mature Star Wars Stories.

I joined Wattpad when I was 14 years old back on January 21, 2015. Back then, everything I read was purely crappy fanfiction with predictable and basic plots, which can be seen in Book 1 of the SWRC series where I kind of combined all of them into one.

But as I have gotten older, I have been drawn into the realms of more mature and deeper meaning stories which has begun to reflect itself in my own writing as the SWRC series has progressed and developed since it was first published in March, 2015.

Mature stories on Wattpad are those intended for an audience who is aged 17+, as there are restrictions on Mature stories that enable them to only be reached and accessed by the correct and intended audience.

If you're on the app, you can go into the Home Content Preferences tab beside your profile picture and allow/disable Mature stories to be shown as well as block certain tags on books from appearing in your suggested lists if you so desire.

Not too sure about the website though, but should work something similar.

The most common topics that come to my mind when facing a 'mature' story are smut, explicit sex scenes and rape.

Whilst this isn't always true, this is what I associate and often find myself reading within the mature vein of stories on Wattpad and Archive Of Our Own (AO3).

You as the author of your work are expected by Wattpad to rate your own story in the section above the Table of Contents, specifically under the section labelled More Information to rate as mature or for everyone.

A mature rating doesn't mean that authors can include prohibited content such as pornographic content, underage content (defined by Wattpad and Canadian law as less than 16 years of age), glorification of sexual violence, sexual role-play and messaging, and illegal sex acts such as bestiality and necrophilia.

So does this mean that you can't include these things in stories on Wattpad?

Well no, because Mature stories may include explicit sex scenes, self-harm themes and/or scenes, and graphic depictions of violence, so long that they are included as a prelude or circumstance that is then used to 'tell a story'.

What they cannot do, however, is encourage, promote or glorify these topics and themes and paint them in an acceptable light.

Non-consensual sex acts on Wattpad include topics such as rape, sexual assault, sexual slavery, and kidnapping for sexual purposes and could be shown as explicit sex scenes, but there must still be a plot in order for Wattpad to allow the story.

I've found that I rather enjoy reading A/B/O fanfiction, which frequently includes some of the above non-consensual, or at least dubiously consensual, sex acts and this must have a mature rating here on Wattpad or a bold warning tag on AO3...

Similarly for themes of self-harm, such as eating disorders, thoughts and acts of suicide, addiction, which can still be tackled by Wattpad stories as long as the plot of the story still moves forward with the characters and isn't only about a character attempting to kill themselves.

Glorification of suicide in all its forms is never okay.

Similarly, hate groups and extremist content is not encouraged and will be removed from Wattpad for promoting violence or hatred against others on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, age, or sexual orientation.

Personally, if you were to write a story with the above sort of themes and certain characters were to express these views, I probably wouldn't have an issue with the story as a whole.

Sure, I'd hate that character for having that opinion, but they probably aren't the protagonist if I'm reading it and it isn't the end of the world that people are different and portrayed so in fictional stories by fictional characters.

The Empire and First Order are a perfect examples from Star Wars.

They are frequently described as 'Space Nazi's', which matches perfectly with both Canon and Legends lore, so of course any Imperial or First Order character is more than likely to display or exemplify some of the above mature topics.

And since most authors here seem to side with the Rebel Alliance, you can easily show them as fighting against the tyranny and oppression of such mature topics that are being displayed.

Because, at least from my perspective, the Imperials and First Order are predominately pro-Human and anti-alien in most of their presentations which plays right into the hands of the themes of hate and extremist views that are held by some people throughout the world.

Thrawn is about the only alien character high up within the official Imperial ranks that I can immediately think of, as the Inquisitors are separate from the Imperial army and navy. Rebels really only showed humans in the Imperial army and navy, and aliens in the Inquisitors, when you stop and think about it.

If your story is reported as being rated incorrectly, Wattpad reserves the right to change your rating from 'Everyone' to 'Mature' or even remove the story all together, if they determine that it doesn't comply with their guidelines. They may also close an account without notice for such violations.

With this in mind, I should also mention that you probably shouldn't post anything that you'll live to regret in the future or what you don't want peers, teachers, parents and/or future employers seeing.

Just a small thought.

Next, we delve into the timeline of Star Wars and the various eras that occur throughout.

Feedback is greatly appreciated, and further topic suggestions are always open!