Character Archetypes.

We've all seen certain types of characters and personalities that appear to be a must in any and all Star Wars stories. The Hero, the pilot, the princess, the co-pilot, the rebel, the Jedi/Sith and the lovable droid/s. But why do we see only these character archetypes in Star Wars fics?

Let's start by defining what an 'archetype' is. This is defined by Dictionary.com as:
'1. the original pattern or model from which all things of the same kind are copied or on which they are based; a model or first form; prototype.'

An archetypical character is alternatively known as a universal character as they appear over and over again across many cultures in various forms that are easily recognisable to viewers/readers of the text.

Han Solo is the first character introduced into the Star Wars franchise who claims to be the best pilot in the galaxy with the fastest ship in the galaxy that can complete the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs. And since then, it seems to be the modus operandi of all pilots in the Star Wars universe to proclaim that they are the best pilots in the galaxy.

Like, all of them. Ever.
Often with little to no training either.

This just screams Mary Sue/Marty Stu to readers. It's predictable, it's overdone to the point of death and nearly no one cares about a 'protagonist' who already has everything already sorted out. There's no journey, no growth and that's not why many people on here read books.

There are dozens of types of character archetypes that appear across all mediums of media, but the following is a list of a few of the more well-known ones. From TVtropes.com, these include:
- The all-loving hero.
- The Antagonist/Classic Villain/Evil Overlord/.
- Anthropomorphic Personification.
- Anti-hero.
- Barefoot Sage.
- Blind Seer (think Chirrut Imwe from Rogue One).
- Bruiser with a Soft Centre.
- The Chosen One/Chooser of the Chosen One.
- The Conscience.
- The Corrupter.
- The Cynic.
- Eccentric Mentor/Mentor/Elderly martial arts master/Wise old man.
- The Fool/The Trickster/Wise fool.
- Gentle Giant.
- Granny Classic.
- The Grotesque (think Quasimodo from The Hunchback of Notre Dame).
- Herald.
- The Hero/Protagonist. Usually also an Idealist and The Protagonist Shall Lead Them.
- Knight in Shining Armour/Knight-errant.
- Lady and Knight.
- Lovable Rogue (think Han Solo).
- Mary Sue (avoid at all costs).
- Messianic.
- Orphan Assassin.
- Patriarch.
- Powers That Be.
- Prince Charming/Princess Classic.
- Rebel Leader/Rebellious Spirit.
- Sidekick.
- Star-Crossed Lovers.
- The Storyteller.
- Turn coat/Traitor.
- Wicked Parent/Step-Parent types.

These can alternatively be labelled stock characters and can include other character types such as:
- Absent-minded professor.
- Bad boy (frequently played to death).
- Criminal.
- Damsel in Distress.
- Dark Lady/Dark Lord.
- Fall Guy/Scapegoat.
- Femme Fatale.
- Hotshot.
- Lovers.
- Mad Scientist.
- Outlaw.
- Redshirt (alter. Stromtrooper).
- Space Nazis (aka. The Empire).
- Supersoldier.
- Swashbuckler (think Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean).
- Tragic Hero (think Anakin Skywalker).

Whilst all of these archetypes can be present and utilised effectively within a story, one must understand how and why these archetypes came to be and how they are frequently portrayed in order to create a lasting rendition in a readers memory.

Johnny Depp's portrayal of Jack Sparrow as a washed-up pirate down on his luck is memorable to viewers because it was different than any other previous incarnation of pirates at the time and set the stage for a revival of pirate flicks in to following years.

Understanding the basis upon which a character is designed from allows authors to begin their story and have audiences predict that it will go one way because of the portrayed archetypes, only to have it pulled out from underneath them when they least expect it. It keeps readers on their toes and creates the intrigue and desire to know more about the story you as the author are telling them as the reader.

Next, we delve into the specifics of Jedi and Sith Orders and the characters that are frequently expressed in Star Wars stories featuring them.

Feedback is greatly appreciated, and further topic suggestions are always open!