Part 4

'Today's the day' Frank repeated to himself, looking at the ragged mess that stared back at him in the mirror. He truly didn't own many nice outfits, so he supposed a Pink Floyd shirt and jeans would suffice. Grabbing his keys, he walked by his living room and halted upon seeing Gee. They were curled up on the beanbag chair once again, not exactly having anywhere else to sleep. Frank made a mental note to buy an air mattress while he was out. Fighting the urge to say goodbye to the str- house guest, he walked outside of his apartment and closed the door as quietly as possible. Locking it behind him, he made his way outside and looked up and down the street. Once again, he didn't have a car, so it looked like he would be walking to the doctor's office. Good thing he had earbuds. Music always made things go faster for him and right now, he really didn't want to dwell on what he was going to do. He began his journey to the doctor's office, feeling more like he was walking the green mile. Popping one earbud in, he pressed shuffle on his playlist and shoved his cell phone back in his pocket.

"Summer has come and passed

The innocent can never last

Wake me up when September ends

Like my fathers come to pass

Seven years has gone so fast

Wake me up when September ends"

Frank kept walking as the song continued to play, his mood not increasing one bit. Great choice, shuffle feature. Streets faded together, passing without leaving an impression in his memory. He skipped a few songs, not wanting to feel any more depressed than he was right now. A song finally came on that wasn't depressing (which just so happened to be a rarity on his playlist).

"She paints her fingers with a close precision

He starts to notice empty bottles of gin

And takes a moment to assess the sin

She's paid for

A lonely speaker in a conversation

Her words are swimming through his ears again

There's nothing wrong with just a taste of what you've paid for."

Walking into the office, he pressed pause on the song and took his earbud out. The office lady gave him a smile that was all too happy for someone who works at a hospital. How could someone smile at a place full of pain?

"Hi there! Do you have an appointment?" She asked, still grinning at Frank. He forced a smile on to his face and at least tried to look happy.

"Yup. Frank Iero for 9:30." The lady looked down at her computer, a slightly puzzled expression. She clicked a few things on her computer and frowned.

"You're late." Frank rolled his eyes and crossed his arms.

"I'd like to see you get here at 9 when you've got a four-year-old living in your house that you've got to take care of."

"Fair enough. Dr. Ballato will see you soon." Frank took a seat in the chairs provided, not wanting to stand any longer than he had to. They were those really deceiving chairs that looked strangely comfortable but in reality were extremely uncomfortable. Frank waited there for what seemed like decades, looking around the bleak and barren waiting room. The office lady and Frank were the only two people in the office at the time, which didn't help the empty feeling in his chest.

A small snicker escaped his lips, breaking the silence temporarily. He had told that lady that Gee was four. Well, they certainly did act like a four-year-old sometimes. Gee was just...something. In two days, Frank had found himself almost always thinking about them. He didn't even know them and he just let them move in. Just like that. Maybe he felt bad for him. Frank, unfortunately, knew what it was like to hit rock bottom. Hell, he was still trying to climb up. But at this point, it didn't seem like he was going to be able any time soon.