The Deal

At first, your little deal with him didn't seem so bad. How could it? He wanted to go with you! Even if it was just as friends, he planned to match with you- planned to have fun with you. You. Oh- you were more excited than you should've been- but it was the first time you were really asked anywhere. Yeah, you'd been asked by friends before- but not by a friend you happened to also like. You'd never gone anywhere with a boy you liked, especially not a school dance. Hell- at the rate you were going, you didn't think you'd have a date to your own Senior Prom in a few years.

Peter Parker wanted to go to Homecoming with you-

At least it seemed that way. He seemed happy to go with you. He planned with you, Ned and Michelle. You'd bought your ticket- you even went dress shopping! You were so happy- so excited and ready- and then..

"Hey! Guess what [Y/n]!", he'd said excitedly when he saw you one afternoon after classes had just let out.

"What? What is it?"

"Liz said yes!"

Your heart dropped instantly- but you still asked for confirmation, you had to know, "Yes to what?"

"To go to Homecoming with me!", he beamed, "Isn't that great?"

You wanted to cry on the spot. Of course this would happen, "O-Oh- well- I uhm- I thought.. that we.."

"Don't worry about it. I got a date, so we don't have to go together anymore. That was the deal.", he smiled at you, oblivious to your hurt since you masked it so well. He didn't know you had really wanted to go with him- that him telling you he was going with Liz had hurt you. How could he know? You acted so happy for him, masking your hurt with eagerness. He did deserve to be happy after all- he was good. He deserved the world- even if you weren't in it.

"Well- great! I hope you have fun!", you had said, giving his shoulder a happy swat before swiftly turning away and leaving. He was slightly taken aback by your oddness- but his giddiness took over and so he didn't question it.

You kinda wished he had- that he'd noticed the hurt in your eyes and ran after you. If you were a smaller girl, this would be the part where the guy realized his feelings for the girl. He would run after her- tell her he had feelings for her and wanted to take her to the dance and no one else. However- you weren't that small girl.

Liz was- and so he didn't go after you. You walked home alone and upset- and to make it all the more worse and dramatic, it rained. It rained- you had no jacket and you just didn't care. All the excitement you'd once had had completely left your body. You should've known this would've happened. Why wouldn't it? He's liked Liz for so long and- you just knew he'd get the courage to ask her. Why wouldn't she say yes? She'd have to be insane to say no to a guy like him. Hell- you knew what this meant when he asked you to go as a back-up and you still couldn't say no. You couldn't because you wanted to believe that he really truly wanted to go with you. A girl could dream, couldn't she?

"What?"

"I'm not going, Michelle."

"Why the hell not? You've been excited about this for like a week now!", you could hear the frown in her voice as she spoke to you through the phone.

"I just- I don't feel up for it. It's-"

"He asked her didn't he? Is he honestly that dense? God- wait till I call Ned I swear-"

"Please, Michelle. Don't. It doesn't matter. I- uh- I don't even have a dress!", you lied. You were staring right at the thing. It was a beautiful dark blue- you loved it the moment you saw it. It would've went well with his black tux and converse. You liked to imagine that you two would've looked cute together- that he would've found you to be beautiful and- and that..

"It does matter! He asked you first-"

"As a back-up. As a friend, nothing else. Please drop it. I thought you didn't care huh? Isn't he a loser?", you tried joking.

"We're all losers- but you're my friend and- honestly it's a little messed up of him to just up and ditch you. You already bought your ticket-"

"I didn't. I didn't buy it. It's fine. I'll just watch movies and stuff like I did last year. It's really no biggie."

"...If you say so..", she sighed, defeated. She knew you didn't like prying- but man she wanted to pry. She wanted to give Peter a piece of her mind.. she could only imagine what you must be feeling.

"Oh, Michelle?"

"Yeah?"

"You're my friend too."

A small laugh left her and you could feel a little smile grace her face, "Friends call me MJ."

"I'm a special friend, Michelle."

"Oh whatever.."

Soon enough, the conversation was over. You were alone with your thoughts, staring at the ticket on your dresser. You'd lied about that too- you'd been so excited, you'd gone out to buy your outfit and such as soon as you were able. You'd even gotten your own Mother excited with you. She was thrilled, going on about how she'd do your make-up- shit. You couldn't tell her you weren't going now. She'd be so sad for you- because she knew. She just did- but anytime she tried to bring it up, you shot her down. You didn't want to talk about it with her- she was your mother. How do you tell the woman who gave you life- the woman you most take after, that you hate the skin you're in? How do you tell her you struggle with your own thoughts and sometimes you're tired of fighting for the life she gave to you?

You couldn't do that. You just couldn't. There was no way- so when the night of the dance came, you let her do as she pleased. She spent hours with you, doing your hair and your make-up, telling you how she remembered her Homecoming dances and how she loved each of them.

"Oh my gosh- you look gorgeous!", she beamed once she finished, taking you in.

You stared at yourself in the full length mirror and did what you could to stop the tears that threatened to spill over, "Thanks, Mom."

"Okay okay- let me get some pictures, and then I'll drive you!"

Lie. Tell a lie- get out of this.

"Uh- actually I- uhm- I'm being picked up! I know you have to be at work and all soo.. you can just go!"

"Aww, really? I was hoping to see Peter. I bet May dressed him up all nice for you.", she hummed softly, "But okay honey. See you tonight?"

You wanted to see him too-, "Yeah! See you tonight!"

She was all smiles as she left, snapping a few more pictures before leaving. The moment the door shut- your mask fell and shattered to the floor.