Chapter Four

"Father, father, tell me where are you now?... Its been hell not having you...Last thing I heard, you were fed up, you're skipping town...With no note telling where...When I go to sleep at night, you're not there...When I go to sleep at night, do you care?"

Normally, I would demise Sleeping With Sirens because they just aren't my type of music, but one song by them struck my attention. A Trophy Father's Trophy Son is what the song is called, the lyrics remind me a lot of when my step-father came into my life when I couldn't even understand why my biological father walked out on us.

I didn't understand why Mum had to marry a different man who forced himself into my life as my 'father', but I've never considered him a father figure.

Though, I don't really agree with what Dad did to Mum and I - I still want to confront him. I'd like to know that he's still here, asshole or not, I'd like to know that he's still breathing. Because Zak is never going to be my dad, I'm never going to allow it.

"Alice, I need to show you something," Ashley announces softly, sauntering into the living room with a folder clutched against his chest with bloodshot eyes.

Woah, what happened last night? I mean, all he did was go out for a drink right?! I came home before he did..

"Mmm?"

"Alice, now!" Ashley snaps. Stunned, I obey his demands, pulling out my earphones and shuffling into the living room, plotting down on the couch, Tokyo and Killer jumped up and sat on either side of me.

They've warmed up with me now, I'm beginning to think they love me more than Ashley.

"Alice..." Ashley pushes the folder towards me.

What?

"Open it," He insists calmly.

"Why?" I retort, my fingers hovering over the opening of the folder.

"You wanted to know about your father, right?"

Yeah, but how the fuck did he know that?! I haven't even mentioned that to him once.

I tear open the folder and pull out the contents. An unsettling feeling settles in my gut.

What if he's dead?

I push down the lump in my throat, blinking away the tears that stung my eyes.
I can't.. I can't cry, not in front of Ashley..

"You okay?"

"Yeah.. Just a little overwhelming.." I reply in a shaky voice. It all seemed a little too good to be true.

A birth certificate and other official documents are among the papers sprawled across my legs.

I take the birth certificate into my own hands. Reading it carefully, absorbing each and every word printed on the thin piece of document.

Alice Maria-Joyce Jackson

Mother: Donna Jackson
Father: Ashley Purdy

Tears sting my eyes as my hands grow tighter with...I don't know what I'm feeling.. I crunch up the piece of paper and throw it away. Bringing my legs up to my chest, I hug them as I cry.

Mourning over my entire childhood.. I've been lied to.

Who can I trust? Did Zak know as well??

"Why?!" I scream, tears rolling down my cheeks as a bubble clings to my throat.

"Why did you and Mum lie to me?!" I scream him my emotions pulsing through my veins as I clench my fists tightly.

"It wasn't a choice I made, okay? Your Mother made me leave you." Ashley justifies in a subtle murmur.

"Why?"

"She didn't want you growing up with me as your father.. she loathed me. So, therefore, she fed you a lie that I was your cousin so you wouldn't get suspicious as to why we look similar."

"What.. N-no.. This c-can't.. N-no," I press my head against the my hands. This is all too much.. Things were actually going okay... And now this?? What else is gonna happen??

I feel a warm sensation around my wrists, I look down and notice Ashley's hands firmly locked around my pale wrists.

"You alright Alice?"

Fuck you.

"I'm going for a walk," I announce, shoving him away from me. I stand up and storm of the door.

I needed to leave, before I go even more insane.