31. Surrender

Scott stayed in his room the rest of the night and didn't come out for breakfast, even after Sarah knocked on his door. Sarah had helped Mitch get ready for bed and insisted he sleep on her bed. She slept on the sofa. They had breakfast together and then Mitch sat on the recliner, staring out the window.

Sarah had had enough. She walked into Scott's room without knocking. Scott was sitting on the covers with his back against the headboard. He looked at Sarah when she walked in. His eyes were red and puffy.

Sarah studied his face and slowly walked to the bed and climbed on top, sat crossed legged and held her arms across her front, "What happened?"

Scott sighed heavily. "Ask him."

"I did. He won't tell me."

Scott looked out the window.

"Oh my fucking gawd. Scott I'm sorry I threatened your life. Is that what this is about? Is it me?!"

Scott whipped his head back to Sarah, "No! Of course not! I didn't tell Mitch about that. And... just that's not it."

Sarah shifted her position to sitting on her knees and moved close to him resting her hand on his arm, "Scott, please. This is scary for me. I don't know how to get him back home. I can't get everything back there by myself. If you don't want us anymore, just help us back," Sarah said tearfully.

Scott opened his arms and pulled her into a hug. He had never hugged anyone but his mom and Mitch in his life, but this was instinct. She melted in his arms. "No! I don't want you to leave. I... I want to help Mitch but he won't let me."

Sarah sniffed and wiped her nose on her sleeve, pulling away enough to look at Scott. "Help him do what?"

Scott let off a heavy sigh. "He told me he wants to quit fighting."

Sarah gasped and put her hands over her mouth, her eyes wide in shock. "Oh my god, that would be great!"

"I know! And that's what I want, but..."

"But what? Don't leave me hanging!"

"He doesn't know how to make enough money to support you, himself and pay me back. I told him I would invest money in a restaurant we could co-own, but he's being stupid. He said no," Scott said feeling angry and frustrated again.

"Gawd, he's an idiot!" Sarah huffed, throwing herself into a sitting position next to Scott.

Mitch appeared at the door looking contrite. Scott and Sarah both were sitting with their backs against the headboard, feet straight out, arms crossed with the same exact scowl looking furiously at Mitch.

"Fuck," Mitch whispered. "It's not idiocy to want to be independent. Owing money to someone just leads to bad things."

"Money can also lead to good things Pops!" Sarah again shifted her position quickly on the bed to her knees looking anxiously at Mitch. Her eyes were hopeful. Scott looked questioning at Mitch.

Mitch was leaning on his cane with his right hand, and he put his left hand over his eyes. "I can't run a kitchen right now."

Scott uncrossed his arms and also looked hopeful but guarded at Mitch, "I can! You can teach me!"

"I can too!" Sarah added quickly.

"Mitch, I don't want to fight in the ring anymore either. This would give me something else to do," Scott pleaded.

Mitch looked at Sarah and Scott. "Restaurants fail all the time."

"Not ours!" Sarah practically yelled, an impossibly wide smile already forming on her face.

Scott said nothing, holding his breath.

"Fine." Mitch, for the first time in his life, surrendered.