The Winchester House

The Winchester Mystery House is a mansion located in San Jose, California. It is quite literally a labyrinth in terms of how the house is designed. There are stairs that lead to the ceiling, doors that lead to nowhere, and many, many more oddities. It is open to the public, so people can go there for a tour of the house (at a price of course)

.

House Stats

•160 Rooms

•2,000 Doors

•47 Stairways

•52 Skylights

•17 Chimneys

•3 Elevators

•10,000 Windows

•47 Fireplaces

•6 Kitchens

•13 Bathrooms

•40 Bedrooms

As you can see from the information above, this house is quite massive. It spans over 24,000 square feet, which is quite the number.

House History

House History

Everything about this house began with Sarah Pardee. She was born in 1840. Not much about her early life is known. What we do know, is that she met and married William Winchester in 1862. William’s father, Oliver, owned and operated New Haven Arms. Their manufactured weapons were the Winchester Rifles, which were quite popular amongst the people, even President Theodore Roosevelt. Eventually, Sarah had a child with William. The child was named Annie, and she was their only child. Unfortunately for them, Annie died 6 weeks after her birth. Months later, Oliver passed. And a year after Oliver’s death, came the death of William. With his passing, Sarah received control over the company, as well as much grief. Seeking to speak with her husband once more, Sarah contacted a medium. The medium revealed that Sarah was cursed by the victims of the Winchester Rifles. The spirits told her to move west, and to never stop building, or else she would meet her end. And so, she liquidated the company, moved west, bought some land, and didn’t stop building up until her death in 1922. She held some seances in the house under construction. There, it is said that the spirits gave her building instructions. And so, that’s the story of the Winchester Mystery House. At least that’s how the story goes. It’s possible she built everything out of grief.