Chapter Two: Intruder

"What took you so long, sweetie?" My mother asks as she stares at the road ahead

The Godfrey's were in their own car as we were in ours. Olivia lead the way to tailor shop that she's supposedly been dying to go to. Which in my opinion going to a tailor shop instead of a mall seems a bit extra for school shopping, but I shouldn't complain, I'm not the one paying for it.

"Sorry mom, I was talking to Jesse and I got a bit distracted."

It wasn't a total lie, it was accurately ninety five percent the truth.

She nods her head, showing that she Believes me. After the nod of approval there was a empty void in the car, I can tell that the silence was eating mom alive by the way she tapped her fingers on the steering wheel. She tapped her fingers in a particular rhythm, it sounded familiar and kinda generic. But I still couldn't figure out where I heard it before.

It's out of her character to be quiet and not in a good mood. She loves being in conversations. I guess that's why father fell so deeply in love with her. She's a vibrant person that can completely turn the mood of the room into a one-eighty. And that's what I love about her. And I aspire to be like that, but that description doesn't fit my personality at all. Sometimes I wonder how we're related.

Even though mother and I are still in an awkward stage and are trying to get readjusted to each other, I know I can still feel comfortable with her.

"So, what do you think about the Godfrey's?" Mother asks, she slightly turns her head and wiggles her eyebrows at me.

Snobs, creepy, a bit intolerable. I could go on.

"They're fine," I lied. I don't want to burst mom's bubble about them. She obviously cares about the way they view our family.

"The way Roman was staring at you was kinda cute." Mother says in a sweet lovey-dovey voice.

Her words takes me in an immediate shock. Instantly my jaw drops down to my ankles. I honestly can't believe she even noticed it, and trust me when I say- it wasn't cute... at all.

"More like creepy." I mumble. Just thinking of Roman creeps me out.

Through the corner of my eye I can see my mother subtly rolls her ocean blue eyes.

"I think he might be interested in you, you might as well try to take a chance. Especially since they're such a lovely family."

Nausea hits me.

"Well just so you know he takes an interest in every girl at school, but only to leave them out to hang once he's done with them." I reply as honest and nice as I can be. I don't want to offend mom by trashing people who she admires for some odd reason.

"People can change, Em."

"A tiger never changes their stripes." I reply crossing my arms stubbornly.