Kara

"I never want to see you here AGAIN!"

I felt the cold snow hit my back as I was thrown out. A small backpack hit my stomach, followed by a raggedy coat and the slamming of a door.

"Yeah well, same here."

I muttered, wiping the snow off of me. I put the coat on, my fingers getting stuck on the holes in the sleeves. I slipped the backpack on my shoulders and trudged into the darkening and snowing street.

---

I wandered around my small town in Michigan for hours, just until the sun was rising. I was used to this, being thrown out. My father would get into a drunken state, find "something" I did wrong, and then throw me out for it. I usually went to a friend's house, but I kept running out of excuses so I just walked around until morning. I avoided where the cops were; no one would ask me questions that way.

There was one person who knew, and it was my grandmother. I walked to her house, grabbing the spare key behind the false doorbell. I knew she would be up, she always was for me. I opened the door, being greeted by the smell of coffee and pancakes.

"Hello Kara."

She said in her sweet old lady voice.

"Hello Grandma."

I went to the spare bedroom, grabbing the spare school uniform and a toothbrush.

Once I was all cleaned up, I went back to the dining room and slid into my seat. Grandma placed a plate of food in front of me.

"What was it this time?"

She asked.

"He didn't pay the energy bill, and claimed it was my fault for leaving the lights on at night which was why it was so high."

Grandma sighed, sitting in the seat across from me.

"Just come spend the night with me when he does it, I know you wander. I see it on the frost on your jacket."

"Grandma if I did that, he would know."

"He already suspects where you get a new uniform each time."

"I just tell him I put one in my locker at school and just come in earlier."

Unsatisfied with the answer, she let the conversation end.

"Finish eating, you must get to school on time. Your senior year will be the best one yet."

---

The school bell rang as I slid into my seat for first period.

"Kara!!"

I heard the cry of my best friend, Ivy, behind me. I smiled,

"Hi Ivy."

"Oh Kara you look like a wreck! I mean-"

She said, her cheeks turning bright red at her outburst. 

"I mean you look fine."

"It's okay Ivy."

Before we could talk anymore, our teacher, Mr. Bromley, turned our attention to American History.

---

Ivy and I walked through the crowded halls, trying to get to Ivy's locker. I turned my head, laughing at something Ivy said, when I saw him. Matthew Tarran. The most popular guy in school, and who I've liked since freshman year. We used to have a class together, but once he met Gabriella, I left him alone.

But then he looked at me, his baby blues looking surprised to see me.

"Kara? Did you hear me?"

"Hmm?"

I asked, losing Matthew's sight as we rounded the corner.