Matthew

From that point on, Kara and I were together. Whenever someone mentioned something about her father, I stood up for her. When someone said something about my ex, she told them off. The more time she was away from her father, the more she became her own person.

She began to excell in school, her grades rising to A's. She began to not to fear what others thought; instead, she smiled, told them that what they said was lovely, and moved on.

Even though we were dating and lived in the same house, we never went into each other's rooms. Kara specifically asked for it, making my parents more comfortable with the idea of us. I didn't mind it, in fact I found that it made our relationship more special.

---

Christmas break came, our first one together. Kara insisted that we go shopping for my parents at the mall.

"C'mon Matthew! I want to get them something as a thank you for letting me stay with them, and you should get them one because they're awesome parents."

I chuckled, my hands on the small of her back as hers were behind my neck.

"Fine, but on one condition."

Kara's big brown eyes sparkled as she waited for what I was about to say.

"We get Cinnabon."

She laughed,

"Of course."

I quickly kissed her before pulling away and grabbing my car keys.

---

As we walked around to the different stores, I felt uneasy. It wasn't because of the other guys eyeing Kara, even though I didn't like it, it was the feeling of being watched. I stood beside Kara, my hand on her back as she looked through clothing and makeup. She held up a red sweater, clearly having turned her attention away from getting a gift for my parents.

"I'm going to try this on."

Quickly she turned and walked towards the dressing rooms. I watched as she went in, not wanting her to leave. I walked around the area, darting to look at the rooms every once and a while.

"May I help you?"

I heard a voice ask behind me. I turned to look, and saw a young woman batting her eyes.

"No, thank you."

I said, turning back to look at the dressing rooms. The woman grabbed my hand, pulling my attention back to her.

"I think you might be waiting a while for her."

My eyes grew wide at her remark, and I ran to the dressing rooms.

"Kara?! KARA?!!"

I pounded on the doors, sounds of irritation coming from most. One door opened, and Kara came out. Relief swept over me. Her face was worried, clothes draped over her arm.

"What's wrong?"

I sighed in relief.

"Nothing now, just please hurry." 

She smiled, turning back to the dressing room.

"Yeah, just let me make sure I have everything."

---

We quickly left the store, my arm wrapped firmly around Kara's waist.

"Excuse me, but I think you dropped this."

We turned to the man behind us, and Kara screamed.