Prologue: Training Attempts

Mabuhay! Bienvenidos and Welcome! Real quick here is a disclaimer to Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: Legend of Korra (to both the movie {DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE} and T.V Show. Much of the ideas are based on the movies and comics. I wish I could be an Earthbender. But unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet!

For those who are new to the world of Avatar- I suggest you watch all of Avatar: The Last Airbender (AtLA) first before The Legend if Korra (LoK), but also definitely watch LoK. I will not describe what bending is or any specifics because I should hopefully integrate an explanation into the story. If you do have questions! Please, please ask me or comment. I am sure people would love to answer them.

Along with that, I have had a rough start with my prologue, so if there is something that needs to change because it may lack substance, please let me know!

Thanks!
RunningPrincess
___________________
___________________

The summer was slow and the sun still held aloft in the noon sky. The Air Temple was quiet, everyone was gone except for two people. A young woman and a close friend. The days seemed extremely long for her, she had been gone for the last six months on a mission for the Police Force. The time had come for her to return home, and with her, she brought a secret, and a promise. Ever since her mission, her life seemed to have one purpose, and one purpose only, to live and protect Republic City. If she was the only one who knew the past, then all was lost if she perished, so she told her friend, General Bumi.

There was a question that held in the summer air such as that of the muggy heat. Her mother, the Great Toph, had never really been there for her, so when she returned she didn't expect anyone to be there. Tenzin, well, he was now out of the equation, and she made her final decision. The Air Temple shook that day, waves crashed and the tree's whistled in the wind as the Air Temple quivered under Lin's wrath. This is the day when the Air Temple became Air Temple Island, and this was the day the Lin Beifong made history.

Later, General Bumi arrived home in Omashu, with the surprise of a baby girl waiting for him. She had brown eyes, and hazel hair. She held the hair of a Water-bender, the eyes of an Earth-bender and the strength of a Fire-bender. He wanted the child to grow strong and fearless, but kind and soft. This little girl brown wispy hair covered her sweet hazel eyes. He was ecstatic at the wonderful gift, and relieved that he had brought to this world a new life. Beautiful the little girl gazed up at him and smiled at him from her wetnurse who sat in the soft oaken rocking chair. At least for one day; between war, and troubles in the New City his father had created; he could take a deep breathe of mountain air, and cherish the moments he had with his new daughter.

Years progressed and General Bumi became busier and busier trying to keep the nations peace from the pasts attacks of Blood-benders. The law of bloodbending was banned and now peace came slowly. Yakone made sure of that. Omashu became the Earth Nation trading capital for their big producer and vender, Cabbage Corps. This company had many outposts centered there causing the economy to boom and Omashu quickly became the richest city in the Earth Kingdom.

Bumi continued to travel the world, resort to long meetings, and keep in communication with his 'cousin,' General Iroh. It was funny business being the son of an Avatar, there was great pressure to be the best and do the best. But for anyone who met Bumi, they knew his character, and wondered where he became so loony. But through his unorthodox tactics and ideas worthy of Sokka's approval, General Bumi became greatly respected among the nations.

Katara was always fair and wise, as she still is. Aang was quiet, peaceful and always thinking of alternative solutions. Bumi sister, Kya had moved to the South to stay with their mother after Aang died, and she too held the peaceful ways of a water bender. Many don't know this except for family, but Kya as sweet as she was, also learned the skill of blood-bending just in case the skill was lost, or needed to be overcome. Katara was deeply saddened that this was the way things had to be, with Yakone and the new age. Even though Lord Zuko and Avatar Aang had created a city with great visions after a desperate, unwanted start, they kept it alive and so would their descendants.

_____________________________________________________________________________

"Murosha, pay attention. In order to bend you must concentrate. Keep your body tense, and your form tight." Master Ponwe said, "Bending is for the strong, you must be tough! You must care."

I am five years old. I should be a master already, because of my Father. They expect so much! I hate it, Father save me...please!

"You are doing well kid." a different voice said, "Bending is an art within itself. Even the privileged have difficulty mastering this skill."

She poised and struck the ground, a chunk of dirt flew up.

"There are four different elements; air, water, earth and fire. Your origin determines which element you can bend, but your motivation will determine whether or not you can bend it. If you are found with the ability to bend, you can learn to master this element. There are two other kinds of bending but only a few people have ever learned them and one has truly mastered. These two are called Mind-bending and Energy-bending. Energy-bending is only bent by the Avatar. He uses the power to take away ones bending. Mind-Bending is simply becoming so connected to your element that you can bend it by using only your thoughts." She flicked her wrists, the earth fell back into its spot.

"Don't worry kid, you are still young. Someday, you will be a great bender. I know it." this woman turned away and walked to Master Ponwe. The short. stern man mumbled quietly his words of exasperation, but at her glare, he instantly babbled:

"Master Beifong! It is an honor! Do you think Bumi's daughter is fit to be a Master Bender? She can't lift a single rock. Her forms are sloppy and she gets distracted too easily. Sometimes she even starts to meditate. Do you know how hard it is to teach someone Earth-bending when they are meditating? Impossible!"

"She is young and you are impatient. Wait, someday you'll see she will surprise us all. I know it."

"How Master?" he mumbled, trying to conceal his embarrassment. His face flushed and he turned away abruptly.

"She is like my Mother, and if anyone is like her, they are great." She is pressured to be successful and she will show a weak facade. She will try to eradicate that pressure only to prove them wrong later. I can see it in her eyes. She will make her Mother proud."

"I do not understand-"

"You do not need to. This is about her, not you. Train her well, or Bumi will be angry. You don't want that do you?"

"No Beifong! No! Not at all."

"Good, now get back to work." She responded shortly. "And remember kid, the most powerful Earth-benders have mastered neutral jing." 

And looking at the small baffled girl, Lin Beifong left as quickly as she came.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Bumi at this time had left home, Beifong returned to Republic City, and time went on. The new Avatar, from the southern water tribe had been training down in the south with Katara and the new order of the White Lotus. Through them, the young Avatar, Korra, grew in her bending abilities, only to need to train under a master of Air-Bending, who at this time, stood to be Tenzin, the only Air-bending Master and one of the last air-benders on the earth, the second son of Avatar Aang.

At age seventeen, Korra ran away with her polar bear dog, Naga, to Republic City, when she learned that Tenzin was unable to train her. It had been several weeks since Korra had arrived in Republic City when a new foe emerged. Through great power, he had learned how to take away one's bending and thus, Republic City was in trouble, and their new Avatar, had some learning to do. This is where we hop into the history of Aang's City. Much has happened, but much continues to brew. Korra has since learned so much living in the great city, and now young Mira also begins her story in Republic City, learning more than she too, could ever imagine.

_____