Chapter One

∞∞∞

∞∞∞

"We need to discuss dividing – conjugal property."

"No, we don't." The reply was firm and instantaneous. "I had nothing when I married her, and I don't want anything of her." Jennie straightforwardly said.

The sharp-looking official sitting behind the desk ogled the catlike eye brunette unsurely. "Are you sure?"

A firm nod was what he received in response. "Yes."

Her answer prevented the other woman beside her from arguing, from disagreeing, like she had initially felt the need to do. Where would she go? What would she do? Those questions plagued Lisa's mind, but she pushed them away. Jennie was smart. She had gone to college, and she had always managed on her own. Her well-being was not her concern anymore, and she had made that clear.

"Are you sure there is no way you can resolve your problems?" The man pressed, one last attempt at making the couple change their minds – at making them look at each other in the eye at least once that day.

No words were said in response.

Lalisa Manoban, the woman that had seemed so madly in love, so completely devoted to the woman beside her, simply looked away, one hand stroking her clenched jaw.

Her wife, such a contrasting character, a woman that had seemed ready to support her in everything, lowered her head, her khaki long hair and hand that was resting over her forehead obscuring her face.

The judge, however, had seen enough to last a lifetime. He knew there were tears slipping from Jennie's eyes now.

"Can I have the papers?" Jennie's voice nearly broke, but she managed to keep it even. Her hand discreetly wiped at her flawless puffy cheeks as she tucked her hair behind her ear, before shifting forward in her seat, reaching for the pen he had offered her.

Her hand trembled as she signed her name in the space destined for her. Placing the pen on top of the papers, she took a deep breath, and stood.

"Thank you." Jennie said, genuinely.

Then she exited the room, and never came back, the sound of her heels clicking on the floor was the only sign of her presence, along with the subtle scent of her CHANEL perfume – and her signature, black on white.