Chapter 11, Bravery or Stupidity?

Harry looked over at Draco and sighed before hurriedly joining the Hufflepuffs, who were going the other way, slipped down a deserted side corridor, and hurried off towards the girls' bathroom. They had just turned the corner when they heard quick footsteps behind them.

"Prefect!" Hissed Harry as he pulled Draco behind a stone griffin. As he peered behind it he saw not a prefect but Snape. He crossed the corridor and dissapeared from view.

"What's he doing?" Harry whispered. "Why isn't he in the dungeons with the rest of the teachers?" Quietly as possible he crept along the next corridor after Snape's fading footsteps.

"He's heading for the third floor-" Harry smelled something foul, a mixture of old socks and an unclean bathroom. "Can you smell something?" And then they heard it:

A low grunting and gigantic footsteps. At the end of a passage to the left, something huge was moving toward them. They shrank into the shadows and watched as it emerged into a patch of moonlight.

There it was. Twelve feet tall, it's skin was a dull, granite gray, its great lumby body like a boulder with its small head perched on top like a coconut. Its legs were short and as thick as tree trunks with flat, horny feet. The smell coming from it was incredible. It was holding a huge wooden club that was being dragged across the floor because it's arms were so long.

The troll stopped near a doorway and peered inside. It waggled it's long ears, making up it's tiny mind, then slouched slowly in the room. "The key's in the lock. We could lock it in." Harry muttered.

"That's actually not an awful idea." Commented Draco.

They edged towards the open door, mouths dry, praying the troll wouldn't come out of it. With one great leap, Harry managed to grab the key, slam the door, and lock it.

"Yes!" Flushed with victory, Harry started to run back up the passage, but as they reached the top he heard something that made his heart stop.

It was a high pitched scream coming from the chamber they just chained up.

It was Hermione.

Saving that know-it-all was the last thing Harry and Draco wanted to do but what choice did they have? Well, what choice did Harry have? Draco was perfectly fine with letting her die.

"There is no way in Merlin's good name that I'm going back for that disgusting girl." Draco frowned.

Harry frowned as well, "We can't just let her die in there."

"Yes we can."

"No."

"Yes."

"Ugh, fine."

Wheeling around he sprinted back to the door and turned the key, fumbling in panic. Harry pulled the door open and ran inside.

Hermione Granger was shrinking against the wall opposite, looking as if she was about to faint. The troll was advancing on her, knocking the sinks off the wall as it went.

Harry ran up to a broken tap without thinking and trew it as hard as he could against the wall.

The troll stopped a few feet from Hermione. It lumbered around, blinking stupidly to see what made the noise. It made eye contact with Harry, hesitated, and then went for him instead. Harry swallowed hard, slowly backing away.