The Cottage On The Cape

The continuous sound of a light whistling snore was what finally woke Mia up. She had been hovering at the edge of consciousness for a length of time she was unable to determine. There was a shard of light breaking through the thin cotton curtain that grew every time the fabric moved with the breeze as it flowed through the open window.

The room was just below a comfortable temperature, just chilly enough that when Mia finally opened her eyes, she found her roommates for the weekend cuddled up within their blankets, sleeping one on top of the other in the oldest set of bunk beds Mia knew existed.

But there was a hint of warmth and heat that blew in with the wind. It might have been mid-September but it seemed someone forgot to tell the weather. The chill wasn't due to last long and soon enough a summer-like heat would descend once again upon the wooden beach-side cottage.

It was an outrageously early hour. She could feel it in her bones and the concert the night before, followed by a long late night drive and then an even later nightcap, had only granted her a few hours of sleep.

Her body felt tired but her brain was already buzzing with excitement for the weekend ahead, working double time to wake up the rest of her body. She managed to slip quietly out of the room but even the accidental slamming of the door caused by a sudden gust of wind couldn't have touched the deep sleep Kate and Tori stubbornly remained members of.

Mia's bare feet were light and almost soundless against the bare hardwood floors along the narrow hallway. And she was actually tiptoeing by the time she reached the large common room.

Despite the gallons of early morning sunlight streaming into the house from each available glass window that occupied the majority of the cottage's walls, the small hoard of people currently passed out on the assortment of couches slept on. She was sure she was the only person awake.

It had been a long night for everyone. For some reason, she had thought it a good idea to race from the band's concert in Eastern Connecticut all the way here, to the furthest town, at the furthest end of Massachusetts's Cape Cod. Kate and Tori had just as readily agreed when their comfortable beds, waiting for them back at her apartment in the city, were nearly an hour closer.

The night hadn't even begun when they clambered into her car and headed out on a two-hour long expedition at eleven o'clock at night as they were greeted by a raging party occupying the common room of the family summer home when they finally crossed its thresh hold.

They were welcomed by a traditional Roberts family gathering, the energy high, the tea and toast plentiful and the conversation so engaging that not even a long day, a long concert and an even longer drive could have pulled Mia out of its gravitational pull.

They had all stayed up late, debating and discussing the true deep subjects concerning life and humanity, not bothering to even mention the possibility of sleep until the sun was starting to hint at its own wake-up call.

It was an inherited talent of the Roberts family, biological and adopted relatives alike, to awake and then appear just as food, of any kind, was being served. Mia's offering of large pots of both coffee and tea accompanied with a large basket of fresh bagels and a pile of bacon started the pouring in of occupants to the kitchen.

Most, still half asleep, wandered up to the counter, grabbed the nearest available item and dragged it out to the awaiting balcony and the long wooden picnic table that occupied the majority of its square footage.

Mia was used to the hilarity of such a sight but almost laughed out loud as her family friend and essentially adopted older brother finally stirred from his spot on the old leather couch in the common room, dragged his feet across the hardwood floor, only to grab hold of the spice rack and head for the sliding doors that led out to the fresh morning air.