p r o l o g u e

( HER WISH )

ᨆ✰ᨈ✰ᨆ✰ᨈ✰ᨆ

CHARLOTTE SMITH SPENT HER EARLY YEARS DEDICATING HER LIFE TO ONE THING, AND ONE THING ONLY: THE STARS. As a child, her bedtime stories were of the constellations, all of the legends told across cultures about the shapes the stars made in the skies and where they came from. When she got older, she swapped her small books about the Greek myth about the constellation Cassiopeia or the South American tale behind the star Kamaisani for documentaries on the origin of the Solar System, or the future of the Milky Way galaxy.

Charlie vowed that someday she would get up there, would plant her feet on alien soil and dance among the stars she had cherished for so long. She had her whole life mapped out, she could care less about the common worries of high school or college, no, she wanted to get done with those base necessities as fast as possible. She set her sights on astrophysics, and on joining the ranks of those who had landed on the moon, who were currently floating through space at that very moment.

Little did Charlie know, her wish would start with an alien princess, the loss of her best friend, and the arrival of a man who she only knew of through her mother's stories. Her wish would take her into the far future, to worlds ravaged by cruel slavery and utopias with darker threats beneath the surface. Her wish would lead her to a time in the past where she would befriend kings and queens, incite revolutions and accidentally have to break an engagement to Einstein.

And little did Charlie know, her wish may not have been just a hopeful dream, but it may have just been her destiny after all. Because, as she was going to learn, life with the Doctor was never as simple as it seemed, and some very interesting truths were going to make their way to the surface. Charlie may have started out as a young girl with a wish, but she sure as hell was going to learn that, sometimes, you better be careful what you wish for.

ᨆ✰ᨈ✰ᨆ✰ᨈ✰ᨆ