I Hate Baseball, I Really Do

Marvin couldn't believe he allowed Charlotte and Cordelia to drag him to a baseball game, of all places. It's not even one of Jason's baseball games (but he can hardly stand going to one of those either). The truth is, Marvin can't stand baseball, and he was bored out of his mind. The two ladies next door said that they brought him here so he could get his mind off of Trina's upcoming wedding, unfortunately, they chose the wrong place.

    Marvin sighed and turned his attention back to the game. It was all just a lot of crap that he didn't understand. Some guy wearing blue and white stepped up to pitch, and Marvin got the slightest glimpse of the guy's face. 'Damn,' Marvin thought to himself. Suddenly the game got a lot more interesting.

    Marvin still didn't have the slightest idea of what was going on, but that pitcher sure was handsome, and really entertaining to watch. Before he knew it, everyone was standing and cheering, signaling the end of the game. But which team had won? Which team was he even supposed to be rooting for? The scoreboard was like another language to him. Charlotte shook his shoulder, and he stood up.

    "So, did you enjoy the game? You seemed pretty into it toward the middle of the third inning." Charlotte said excitedly. "The Yankees did so well, I love baseball." She finished with a sigh. The Yankees? Which team is that. At Marvin's confused look, Cordelia joined in the conversation. "The Yankees are the blue and white team. The team with the really good pitcher, the one you seemed to be staring at the entire time."

    Oh, it's pretty boy pitcher's team. Was he that obvious with the staring though? Marvin's face turned slightly red. "Haha yeah, you caught me. Who is the pitcher anyway?" He asked sheepishly. The two women laughed at Marvin's middle school behaviour. "That's Whizzer Brown, he only went pro like 3 years ago." Charlotte said, proud to show off her knowledge of the good-looking player.

    They started getting ready to head to the car, but Marvin excused himself to go to the bathroom. He shoved his hands in the pockets of his sweats, and made his way through the crowd. Luckily the crowd wasn't that big, so there wouldn't be a large line for the bathroom. Marvin ducked his head, so as to avoid looking at people. That proved to be a mistake.

    Marvin ran into a rather tall man. "I'm so sorry, I wasn't paying attention to where I was going..." He looked up, straight into the eyes of none other than Whizzer Brown. Marvin's face turned crimson, and a grin lit up Whizzer's face.

    "It's quite alright, in fact, it's more than alright." Whizzer said, much to Marvin's surprise. "I'm Whizzer, but I'm sure you already knew that." He said rather shyly. Marvin returned the taller man's smile. "Uh yeah...I'm Marvin." A couple of silent, awkward seconds passed between the two.

    "Well, I'd love to continue this conversation," Whizzer said suddenly. "But I have places to be. I swear I don't usually do this to random men that I run into, but something about you intrigues me. Can I get your number?" If Marvin wasn't blushing before, he sure as hell was. A cute guy just asked for his number.

    Marvin took the phone out of Whizzer's outstretched hand, and quickly typed in his number. "Well Marvin, I look forward to meeting again sometime." Whizzer winked, and then walked away, leaving Marvin to wonder about what had just happened. He started back toward the car where Charlotte and Cordelia were probably wondering where he was. Man was he going to have a lot to tell them. Marvin was almost at the car, when he realized he never actually went to the bathroom.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

651 words