The King and I

Audrey Efrem

<<10:00 am, Monday>>
(The Reaping)

_______________________

"My father worked his whole life to stay above the poverty line yet every year it seems like the finish line is pushed further away from him. 50% of your people are from the commonwealth and yet where does your healthcare and tax cuts go primarily to? I would rather watch grass grow than to ever be your lackey"

                "Dad come on" I whined as he prepped his last fruit tart.

                 "No, 'Drey. Quit asking me" He goes around to the enormous cart. All I wanted was to accompany the old man to the ball and help serve. He broke his hip last year and he still has barely recovered.

                  "I'm not taking no for an answer. You're still hurt and you need the extra hands" He sighs I'm frustration knowing that I would follow him to the event uninvited.

                  "I swear to the heavens Nolen if you we get a repeat of the nobleman's banquet..." He threatens me by my middle name which meant he was serious.

               "In my defense, that fat fuck was vocal about his opposition to free tuition for universities and harsher tax laws. I was just doing my job as a member of the lower class" I defended. He throws his hands up in surrender and leaves to go get ready.

                "Wear your best tux" I chuckled. He had to hand sew my best tux and I'd love him unconditionally for it. Though I did not always get what I want, my dad always made sure to get me what I need and then some. He was adamant about me being the first mouth to be fed and that I attended and excelled in school. Though it was hard to excel in a miniature shack with no air conditioning.

               "Hey squirt" Nikolai was one of the cleaning members on staff at the court de Givenchy. He was about 8 years older than me and found it amusing to treat me as if I were his younger brother.

                "Hello prick" I reply bashfully. Quiet as it's kept, I've always had feelings for this bonehead, it's just that given the circumstances, he wouldn't see me anything more than a friend. "You ready for your wedding?"

                 "Uhh, not in the least" He laughs. The rumor going around was that one of the noblemen's daughter had arranged a marriage to Nik, and he was to be married by the end of the year, upsetting the royal court. It wasn't common practice for the upper classes to mingle with lower statuses. "I hear you're going to the ball tonight"

"Uninvited" I reply. "So is my opinion but it's still coming along with me, not withheld of course" We share a laugh at that.

"Just don't cause a scene, Audrey. You know how important this job is to your father" He preached to me.

"Yes, Nik" He rubs my hair and I swatted his head. "Stop that" He chuckles and disappears up the stairs.

*

I lazily eye the towering 8 tiered cake that could feed a starving village. Next to it was a buffet that could feed everyone here in attendance and then some. My father had blended easily in with the lords and was networking around the room. I rolled my eyes looking at the brown pig with an apple in his mouth and wished so badly that it was the king who could take its place.