♛ 2.17 Let Him Go ♛

Posted: November 22nd, 2018

♛ Jhanvi ♛

2.17 Let Him Go

          Minutes into the walk, Aarush speaks up. "Can I ask you a question?"

I glance sideways in surprise, "That's new for once."

"Hmm?"

I shake my head at his confusion. It's usually me asking the questions. "Nothing, never mind. What's the question?"

"I'm sorry if I'm crossing my boundaries." He apologizes beforehand.

"Just ask the question, Aarush." I wave off his hesitancies, "I promise you, none of your questions would offend me."

"You're out here."

"Yes, for a walk." I point out the fact he already knows.

He gives me a look for interrupting and I smile back. He continues, "While they are inside and you are friends with Annie."

I point out as I continue to walk, "I don't hear a question."

"I overheard that conversation you had with her at the hospital." Ah. Now I catch the unasked question. When I look at him, he quickly defends himself, "I know it was wrong of me to. But it's hard not to. I can make myself invisible but unfortunately, we still see and hear everything."

I voice out the question just so we're on the same page. "You're trying to understand how I can be friends with someone who's in love with the man I'm married to."

He nods in confirmation.

Knowing no one else is around and I trust him, I offer him another question. "What if I were to tell you he is in love with her too?" His eyes widen as I give him an answer without directly giving him a confirmation. "And... what if... I were to tell you she is not the 'other woman' but I am?"

"I don't understand."

It's simple really, isn't it? I'm sure he understands what I told him but not the 'why' behind the current situation.

"Stick around and you just might." Seconds of silence later, I speak. "So, my turn to ask a question?" When his brows narrow, I clarify. "You asked a question. It's only fair I get to ask one in return."

He nods folding his hands behind him, "Ah, I see. Well then, go on."

"How come you are here? Surely someone of your caliber could have their pick of any assignment in the army?

"Once I take on a job, I see it through." The answer he gives if of a side question of why he chose to come to Australia with us when he could have sent anyone else.

"Good to know but that's not what I asked."

He assesses my face as if debating whether or not to reply honestly. When I hold his gaze, he exhales audibly. "Your family."