the game

-

ben harper; suzie blue

-

"hey."

bambam turned and saw yugyeom, a sleepy look on his face as he trudged over to the couch and plopped down next to bambam. the smaller shut his book as the tired zombie rubbed at his eyes. it was 8 pm, the time yugyeom and the others usually awoke.

"how was your day?", yugyeom asked. bambam bit his lip.

"i slept for most of it, but it was hard because the light was coming in the window."

yugyeom smiled. he understood what bambam was implying.

"i'll help you hang up a curtain tonight."

"thanks."

it was quiet again as bambam read his book and yugyeom hummed an unfamiliar tune.

soon enough, the others joined them and ms. yang fed them breakfast before heading off to bed. bambam made notice of that.

"yugyeom?", bambam asked as the other took his plate to the sink, bambam following unsurely behind him.

"yeah?". yugyeom washed his plate off.

"is ms. yang human?"

yugyeom laughed in monotone. "yeah, she is."

"why does she do this?", bambam asked, confused. when yugyeom raised an eyebrow in question, bambam gestured to the house around them.

"she had a foster brother that lived with her for years that was a werewolf hybrid. after he was killed in a mob, she vowed to avenge him in the way he would want. so she created raven house, and she's been taking care of hybrids for years." yugyeom didn't miss the way bambam's expression changed to one of horror when he mentioned the mob. "sheep started going missing. it wasn't xylan; he always stayed in the basement during full moons. still, they hunted him down and killed him without proof that he was the one doing the killings. they just wanted an excuse to get rid of him."

bambam thought about that. would the people who used to mock him in school hunt him down and burn him like so many of his ancestors if they found the right excuse?

"anyway, let's hang that curtain."

-

bambam sat on his bed, watching yugyeom as he stood on bambam's desk trying to hang the white sheet over his window. bambam's mind wandered as he sat there. he wondered what yugyeom's and the others rooms looked like?

"you look sleepy."

bambam looked up, startling himself out of his thoughts and realizing he had been leaning over slightly. "oh, uh, a little i guess."

"you can sleep if you want", yugyeom said. somehow, bambam spotted the slight twinge of disappointment in the zombie's voice.

"no, i'm okay." bambam stood up as if to prove he wasn't tired. yugyeom chuckled, then furrowed his eyebrows as he saw something near bambam's feet.

"why are all those books under your bed?", yugyeom asked. bambam flushed.

"no reason."

"but you have a whole bookshelf, and it's hardly full-"

"let's go downstairs", bambam interuppted. the confused look on yugyeom's face faded but didn't disappear as they left the room.

chris welcomed the two with a glare. bambam had made a point to avoid the werewolf as much as possible.