The Tree of Life

"War?" Nobunaga echoed. "It's quite interesting for gods to be at war. Explain yourself."

"My sister, Shi, threatens to tip the balance between life and death in her favor. She wants to... exterminate me." Her jaw clenched— almost as if she were in pain. "And I think... I know... how..." She dropped to her knees; the clang of metal from her sword bouncing off the wood as she let it slip from her hand. She tried to support herself on her hands and knees; the warlords stiff with concern. As she took the time to recollect herself, the hair resting on her neck parted, revealing a black spot on her skin. It appeared to be an entry wound, marking whatever veins it had already traveled through, black.

Upon seeing this, Hideyoshi and Mitsunari rushed to either side of her, helping her to her feet as some stayed back out of superstition.

"That poison... it's only been heard of in legends." Ieyasu remarked.

"Her personal favorite... at least, that's what my other siblings and I assume. Able to kill anyone and anything within seconds. I can tolerate it because as a god, I have an accelerated healing factor depending on my strength and power, but... I'm still suffering. I should've been fully recovered by now. I believe it has something to do with the shift."

"You speak of this shift, and yet we're unaware of it. What's the shift?" Masamune inquired; slightly aggravated by this lack of knowledge.

"No one's really aware of it, but it's something I feel. The dead have arisen from their peaceful slumber and have become restless. My sister hasn't done her part and taken the recently passing into the Afterlife. She's kept them and continues to stress their immortal souls. This isn't meant to happen, but because it has, I've grown weaker. I'm not allowed to produce life unnaturally and she's not allowed to kill without reason, as it's meant to maintain balance."

"So I can imagine using the dead as her army made them a little peeved." Mitsuhide meant this half-heartedly, but Irey nodded to confirm that he was correct.

"But there's been a new disturbance. Now that she's dethroned the rest of my sisters and taken Shinseina Castle for herself, I believe Shi is moving to end life directly. If it gets to a point where I have no power, I'll wither into stardust and there'll be no possible way to produce or maintain life at all."

"Everything would die off." Ieyasu concluded.

"Yes, it would. And being the only one who can truly stand in her way, she's gained the upper hand by poisoning me."

"You could've died when you stepped in front of me." Mitsunari spoke stern, yet sad.

"No, I'm not that weak yet; I can still use my powers. Besides, I made you a promise and I keep my word. I can recover from a minor stab wound, but you... you cannot."

"Now that we understand what the situation is," Hideyoshi cut off what could've become a pitiful argument, wringing in their attention for the battle at hand, "Why do you need our help?"

"We've been watching you ignite the flames for a war. Your hunger for bloodshed favors death. I need you to stop this want for killing."

"It's a very bold thing to ask." Nobunaga beheld a now unamused look at the thought of calling a truce with his enemies. "In order to stop a battle between many sides, you must first convince all the sides to agree."

"I know. I plan to speak with all of your enemies. I just need to devise a plan to gain their favor..." At this time, Hideyoshi and Mitsunari had let go of her arms, finding that she had stabilized enough of her strength to stand on her own.

"Mitsunari is an excellent strategist. Perhaps he can help you." Hideyoshi suggested.

"If it's no trouble..."