All By Chance

"Knock knock!" Heads turned towards the door in the audience hall as it slid open. Masamune stepped inside, followed by Irey and the trays of food. The woven trays flew throughout the room, placing themselves before a person as the pair set the remaining ones down.

"Irey." Nobunaga smirked at the sight of her. "How odd to see you serving our meals."

"I just thought Masamune could use some help. It's good to help people from time to time, you know."

He gave her a curt nod, approving what she said. And within moments, they'd all begun to eat.

The night seemed to carry on in excitement. As Irey sat there, sipping from her sake cup, she observed the bonds being made. Ikari seemed to be enjoying herself with Masamune; the two of them eagerly talking about their experiences on the battlefield. Yoku had let a bit of her true personality loose, finding herself to be rather possessive of Mitsunari. She found him adorable, so Hideyoshi struggled releasing him from her avaricious grasp. ...while Ieyasu only looked on. Mitsuhide and Ryoku had a calm and cool conversation; the two of them probably the only normal ones in the entire room. Glancing at Nobunaga, the Goddess of Life found him sitting alone, observing the room just as she was. Their eyes suddenly met; crimson to silver. A smirk arose on his lips and he cast his eyes down to the spot next to him.

He was inviting her over.

Shrugging, the girl stood up, walking to where he sat before placing herself beside him.

"Not a fan of socializing?" She questioned, resting her head in her palm.

"You're an interesting person to say so." He raised an eyebrow at her, sipping from his sake cup.

"I suppose I'm a bit of a hypocrite." She chuckled, setting down her own glass. "Shouldn't you be drunk by now? Tipsy, at the very least? I'd heard mortal men lose all sense of reason when they've consumed too much alcohol."

"I can handle my drinks, unlike some. What about you?"

"I can't normally get drunk, but right now seems to be an exception. My immune system's not what it used to be."

"It's probably because of the poison."

"Mhm. It's what I fear."

He paused for a moment, staring at her tentativeness out of the corner of his eye. Setting his glass beside hers, he'd become noticeably serious.

"I didn't think gods could be afraid of things. I always believed they were invincible. Now I see that I was shockingly wrong."

"You really have a hard time saying things without making it sound offensive, hm?"

"I only speak the truth." He couldn't keep that stone face for long, for he grinned wide, showing how fond he was of teasing her.

"Well... if it weren't for our strong bodies and inability to age, we'd be just like all the other mortals in the universe. We're only here, being granted eternal life and strange powers, because we're a guiding light for those who need us. When a new soul is created, I help them to a new body. When a mortal dies, Shi guides them into the Afterlife. And throughout this experience, when a person learns of a new emotion, the rest of our sisters are there to help them experience it and contradict it with another feeling. Though some of us are twins, it doesn't go unnoticed that we are sure opposites."