This Feeling

After their departure from Azuchi, the three companions remained silent on their journey to Echigo. Yukimura stole a couple glances at Irey as she rode on the back of Sasuke's horse, finding that her mind was lingering elsewhere.

"You frown so much, Irey." Yukimura spoke rather suddenly, gaining the girl's attention in a heartbeat. "Try to smile a little more. I don't think you'd want your face to get stuck that way." He smiled a jovial smile; the radiance from it all glittering in the sunlight. A playful smile curved onto her own lips at this.

"Face freezes are myths, aren't they?"

"What, you're asking me that?"

"It's getting dark." Sasuke suddenly intervened, pushing his glasses further up his nose. "We should stop soon."

Days later, they'd arrived at a village halfway through to their destination. It was a small village, but seemed to be bustling with lively citizens. Lanterns were strung up around the houses and many stalls received an abundance of customers. Children frolicked in the streets while others exchanged goods with one another.

"Is there a festival going on?" Irey asked; her silver eyes unable to focus on just one thing.

"It seems so. Finding an inn tonight might be hard." The ninja observed.

"I'm sure we can manage. But..." An idea came to mind, but she let it trail from her lips. Yukimura and Sasuke briefly exchanged looks; Yuki leaning forward to get a better view of her face.

"But what?" He pressed.

"Well... it's just that, I've never been to a festival before. I've only ever watched from afar, but it wasn't long before I had to leave. I always wondered what it was like up close."

His chestnut brown eyes widened and he looked over at his comrade.

"Sasuke—"

"You two go ahead." He was surprisingly quick to reply. "I'll find us a place to stay for the night." The man clad in green parted from the two of them; their eyes losing him in the crowd.

"Well... I guess it's just us then." Yukimura awkwardly scratched the back of his head.

"This is really exciting! My first festival... Oh, you have to show me what it's like, Yukimura!" His eyes widened at her sudden eagerness. Her irises gleamed with a silver glimmer; one he hadn't quite seen before. He saw her as a small child in a grown woman's body. Though highly excitable, he found her enthusiasm rather cute. A smile rested on his lips.

"Alright, Irey, alright. I'll show you around. But first..." He glanced at the odd looks she received from those passing by. It wasn't common to see a woman, of all people, dressed like they were ready to go to war at any second. He needed to get her out of her armor, if only for just the evening. "Let's find you something more festive to wear."

"Uh... alright, I suppose."

They'd found a shop selling kimonos and fabric not too far down the main road. Yukimura leaned up against a pillar, waiting as Irey chose from their selection and tried on her favorite. Finally, the shopkeeper's wife had brushed past the curtains, stepping outside.

"She's all ready now. Her sense of style is quite foreign and unusual. She said that she'd like to get your opinion on it."