|Chapter 15

My whole body froze, the hairs on my arms standing up as my stomach sank into the pit of my stomach. I had dodged a bullet today, what started out so hectic resolved itself in a matter of hours. Ian was safe, angry as hell, but safe and so was Regan.

Yet there was still a missing puzzle piece and I knew, this wouldn't be the end of it.

My great plan wouldn't last for long.

|Chapter 15

By the time night had fallen, I had over twenty sheets of paper crumpled up around the floor of my tent. Every word I wrote felt beyond stupid, this letter idea was never going to work. Yet the worse thing by far was how I couldn't pour an ounce of anger into it, the general jest? It's not you, it's me. What a load of bull. 

I thought it would be easy by now, especially considering the fact that it's a letter ergo the fear of being punched in the face.

But still, here I was with not a single decent thing written.

Throwing my pen across the mattress, I sank to the floor letting my head hit my knees. "Don't suppose you want some company?" the gentle breeze of his voice brought a small smile to my lips as I slowly lifted my head. 

"Pretty sure the deal was I stayed here and none of you do?"

"True but . . . I kind of work here . . . so . . . might have a little trouble with that." Shane stepped inside, his hands tucked firmly in the back pocket of his black jeans, his brown eyes as kind as ever as they shone in the dim candlelight.

"Fair enough." I chuckled, crossing my legs. "But I still meant what I said, I'm done bringing trouble into your lives."

"Listen, I'm the first one up for all the peace and safety but surely bumping into each other at work won't add to any danger . . . I mean, after all, this is a haven," he said, as he took the seat next to me on the floor. He wrapped his long arms around his knees holding them up to his chest almost awkwardly. 

"Work? I don't work here, just another citizen."

"Would you like to work here?" he added quickly.

"Wait. Are you serious?"

"Yeah. I mean . . . there isn't really any pay involved, it would be more like volunteering but-"

"No dude that's . . . yeah! I'd love too!" his lips fell closed as his eyes held mine intently. 

"Great, looks like my plan worked then." He muttered jumping to his feet and holding out a hand for me to take. I took it with a puzzled look on my face until he filled me in. "Now that we work together, you definitely can't avoid me."

I couldn't help but feel my insides warm, my heart thumping against my chest in excitement at the fact my plan failed . . . well, kind of. Shane would be a daily part of my life, a constant interreaction but that meant I could still hurt him. Just holding my hand would drain him and just like that, whatever fleeting feeling swam around a second ago, descended into a pit of cold, burning worry as my eyes found the source.

"Shane . . ." I whispered looking down at our hands as I dropped his and took a small step back.

"Nancy it's-"

"You should go," I mumbled wrapping my arms around myself and jumping further back when he tried to reach out again. I kept my eyes far from his face afraid to see my mistake radiating from him. "Please."

He didn't argue, he lingered for maybe a minute more before silently rushing out and leaving me with my half-written failed letters . . . just like I asked, just like I . . . wanted.