eno-ytriht

Halo isn't even a month old when Aerglo needs to leave, needs to go to the Atabilefens in hopes of ending the war once and for all, especially after xe discovered Crucis' whereabouts.

Caelum frowns at the news, he doesn't want to let go of Aerglo, not when their baby is still so little, so young.

But he realizes he can't put a stop to it because as a Royal, Aerglo has to put everyone's safety first and foremost.

"You'll come back.. right?"

"Yes," Aerglo smiles reassuringly, "we are not the only ones going through a power shift, and the new Ruler of Atabilefen wants to meet.  Xe and xyr people are tired of the war as much as we are."

"New Ruler?"

"The old Ruler retired and appointed xyr crowned heir as the new commander, new Royal."

"Do you know anything about them?  Are they nice or... or cruel?  How can you be sure it's not a trap or lies?" Caelum demands.

"I only know as much information as our spies have gathered," Aerglo admits.

"But that means you're going in blind!"

Aerglo hugs him tightly, or as tight as xe dares with their precious bundle in Caelum's arms, "I promise, I will be safe.  I will come back."

"What if things don't go as planned?"

"Then at least I can try Crucis for treason."

"Crucis?"

"The alien that hurt you, that tried to poison you and our baby, xyr name is Crucis."

"That means that they're... they..."

"They fled to Atabilefen," Aerglo nods, "once the situation is explained, I'm sure they'll let me bring back that traitor so we can try them and give the correct punishment for killing the Royal."

Caelum doesn't like that, doesn't like the idea of Aerglo anywhere close to that alien.  But he needs to realize that Aerglo is more than capable of taking care of xemself.

"When do you leave?"

"Tomorrow," Aerglo answers, voice sheepish.

The answer comes like a blow, "so soon..."

"I know, my eno elttil," Aerglo whispers, cupping Caelum's cheek, "But the sooner the better."

"Okay," Caelum sighs, "yeah, okay."

●•●•●

The following day is torture for Caelum as he watches Aerglo pack.  The sun hasn't even risen yet and the only light is that of the moons.

He should still be resting, recovering, but he'll be damned if he doesn't get to see his mate off.

"You shouldn't be up," Aerglo reprimands when xe notices Caelum.

"I wanted to see you go," Caelum frowns, "I wanted to say goodbye."

"It's better if you stay, if you rest," Aerglo sighs.

Caelum's heart breaks a little but he concedes with a small nod, "okay."

Aerglo's own heart constricts at the sight and xe leans down to kiss Caelum with everything xe has, "I love you."

"Promise you'll come back?"

"I promise."

And when Aerglo leaves, he feels nothing but emptiness.

Halo begins to fuss in his cot and Caelum gladly takes the distraction, choosing to tend to their baby to fill the sudden hole in his heart.

"Don't worry," he murmurs gently, rocking Halo after changing his diaper, "your sire will be back soon.  He promised."