Eye to Eye

Isen sniffed the forest floor, attempting to pick up any trace of Farrah before her scent went cold.

It had been hours since he had last seen her, and the only reason it took Isen so long to go after her was because he knew she wouldn't like it if he was hot on her trail. The girl wanted to be alone, that was for sure, and he wished to respect that- or at least make her think he did.

Isen sighed aloud as he lifted up his head and looked up towards the starry sky. Branches were creaking and swaying with the wind, but nothing else could be heard.

The creature growled deeply, standing up on his two hind legs as he patted down his suit. A few twigs and smudges were visible on the fabric, but it was the least of his worries. The scent of the earth had changed, and with it- the smell of iron filled his insides.

"Farrah?" Isen called out, cautiously peering around trees as he attempted to catch sight of his little human friend. He knew she was in the area, for he could smell her blood spilling on to the ground like sweet nectar.

"Farr-," Isen paused, cocking his head as he stared down at a curled-up figure lying next to a tree. He stepped back, hunching down on all fours as he sniffed the familiar looking human who twitched and shivered in response.

"You are cold. And your feet are bleeding. Did I not tell you it was dangerous?"

Farrah couldn't even respond. Her whole body ached and her muscles throbbed, begging for warmth. Though Isen was not of this world, he knew the needs of a human better than any other.

Carefully, the creature scooped up Farrah in his arms and held the trembling being close to his chest with little trouble. Farrah clutched on to his jacket with the tips of her bony fingers, letting out a few small coughs of relief as her rescuer's body heat being to transfer in to her quickly.

Isen was relieved to have found his companion at last and squeezed her protectively. The wings on his back began to stretch out in preparation for flight.

Farrah needed shelter soon, and though Isen wasn't at all affected by the weather, he knew he had to hurry and find a place that could protect them both for the night.

As he felt his feet begin to rise from the ground, Farrah pried her eyes open and glanced up at the eyeless creature before her. She wanted to thank him, but she knew she couldn't- at least not in that moment.

"I think you should listen to me more, human," Isen commented with an invisible smile, soaring above the forest and watching as the moon cast his shadow on the swaying treetops. Farrah was too proud to admit he was right, and she prohibited herself from responding or even acknowledging the creature said anything. Isen wasn't at all bothered by this, but he remained silent for the remainder of their journey.

Farrah couldn't exactly pinpoint how long it had taken them to finally find a place to stay, after all she was slipping in and out of sleep from time to time.

The only thing she recalled seeing the next time she opened her eyes was a wooden, rotten ceiling and a warm fireplace in the far corner of a dark room. She figured the winged monster had finally found a residence.

Isen crawled towards Farrah and steadied her on the edge of an old bed that creaked with every movement. He could tell Farrah wasn't all there, but perhaps it was due to the fact that she was deathly cold and the bottom of her feet were a bloody mess.

He slowly picked up one leg at a time, pressing the palm of his hand against the damaged skin.

A blue light radiated from his touch, and he let go, examining the bottom of Farrah's cured foot with a nod of satisfaction. He did the same with the other before attempting to carefully sit the human straight up in front of him.

Isen's fingers rested on the strap of her dress, but he stopped and made sure Farrah knew what he was planning on doing so she could do it herself.

"Farrah?"

"...What."

"Your clothes are soaked. I will make you something nice and warm for you to sleep with tonight."

Farrah breathed in with a roll of her eyes, tiredly slipping the straps off her dress and letting the material fall to the floor. She was too exhausted to even care that she was completely naked now, but in the back of her head she knew Isen didn't even care.

Isen plucked the dress from the floor and rolled it up into a tight ball. Just like the first time he made Farrah's clothes, a deep, blue glow radiated from his clasped hands.

Farrah secretly watched in awe, and she found herself unintentionally reaching out for the magic happening before her.

Isen nearly flinched when Farrah's rough, cold fingertips made contact with his own claws. The both of them pulled away simultaneously, but the awkwardness only lasted for a few seconds.

"Here you are," Isen cut in, unfolding a pair of bright, purple pajamas for the girl to wear. Farrah stared at the beautiful, radiating material and ran her hand over the buttoned-up shirt, enjoying the feel of the soft texture against her skin. Isen didn't have to ask if she was happy, for he could see it sparkling in her eyes.

"You should get dressed. I will be outside and keep watch for the remainder of the night."

"But it's cold."

"Back in my home world, this is considered pleasant weather."

Farrah rose her eyebrows, slipping her pajama bottoms on, "If you say so...hey, uh, I just want to thank you for helping me. Night." She turned and slipped under a pile of warm blankets Isen must have created for her.

As the girl curled up into a comfortable position, Isen stayed put for a moment before stepping out of the door and into the cool night air.

"You are most welcome, Farrah."