~Wings {Soulmates AU}~

A/N: An AU where, after meeting your soulmate, you grow wings

  They were everywhere.

  Wherever Alexander looked, all he could see was wings. 

  At work, his fellow soldiers displayed their wings for all to see. When he wrote letters for George Washington, he was confronted with the general's brilliant white wings that glistened when he stood in the sunlight. Even his best friends had their wings; John Laurens could not stop fluttering about ever since he sprouted his pair of maroon colored wings one morning after a dinner he had attended. He had only learned from letter correspondence that his soulmate, a miss Martha Manning, had grown gold-colored wings after meeting him, and John was ecstatic. Hercules Mulligan loved to brag about his wife Elizabeth, and he would never lose a race with his wide emerald wings. And like Hercules, Alexander had never known the Marquis de Lafayette before he sprouted his wings. He had grown them a few years ago, and was quite protective of them, spending his free time preening the pale pink feathers with his fingers or a hairbrush. The Frenchman would throw a fit if they ever got muddy or ruffled up. As deeply in love as he was with his wings, he was even more so with his wife, Adrienne, whom he would talk about lovingly to anyone who would listen.

  Even his rival, Aaron Burr, had his wings, though he tried to hide them. His relationship was the subject of scandalous gossip, because the woman in question was already married to a British officer. It burned Alexander up to see Burr wearing an oversized jacket fixed as tightly as possible, deftly concealing his heather grey plumage.

  Everyone had their wings, which meant everyone had a soulmate. Except for Alexander. 

  "Cheer up, Alex," Laurens said to him one day, clapping him on the back as he added teasingly, "You won't be a little caterpillar forever. You'll grow your wings someday." 

  Alexander rolled his eyes. "Thanks, John."

  "Don't fret, mon ami," Lafayette piped up." Perhaps you will meet someone at the ball tonight."

  Alex felt himself get hopeful again. He had been to quite a few parties as the general's aide-de-camp, but he hadn't connected with anyone yet. Maybe tonight could be his chance.

  That evening, he followed the general and the rest of his fellow army men into the ballroom. His navy blue military suit was crisp, his boots polished, and his hair tied back in a neat ponytail. He could feel a grin of excitement creeping up on his face, which he tried to hide from the ribbing of his friends. Everyone knew of his reputation with the ladies. His eyes widened at the sight of a girl with dark curly hair, a dress the color of a pink sunset, and no wings. 

  "The Schuyler sisters are here," murmured Burr, and Alexander's eyebrows shot up. The wealthy, prestigious Schuyler family was known throughout New York, and the three beautiful daughters were the envy of every bachelor. So this was one of those Schuyler girls. He wondered which one it was. Murmuring a quick farewell to his friends, he made a beeline for the pink-dressed girl. 

  "Excuse me, mademoiselle,"  Alex purred, approaching the girl from the side. "But if you have a minute, I would be honored to give you a dance."

  The girl turned around and sized Alexander up. "A military man," she remarked. "Don't you think you have more important matters than attending frivolous parties such as this?"

  Alexander put a hand to his heart, feigning emotion. "You are more than right, miss. I have only been here a moment, and you've shamed me into going home."

  The girl sniffed, a smirk playing on her lips. "Good."

  Alexander grinned. "But since I am here anyway, perhaps you could spare time for one dance with me? And when I get back to camp, I will work with extra dedication, just for you."