~Thankful for You (Ham Family) {Modern AU}~

A/N: Requested by cho2004! She wanted the Hamilton family having dinner together, so I decided to make it the Thanksgiving special! Hope you like it!

The smell of warm meals mixed with the scent of lemon Pledge wafted through the house. The sounds of children chattering as the Macy's parade played on TV could be heard from the living room. And Eliza was panicking in the kitchen. All this could only mean one thing: Thanksgiving Day had arrived.

Nobody even noticed she was panicking; it was a silent freak-out, and it always happened the morning of Thanksgiving. She always had a lot to do on this morning. Cooking, cleaning, setting up the dining room for all their guests- she always agonized that she wouldn't be ready in time. This year more than ever she wanted it to be perfect. She wanted to give Philip the best Thanksgiving ever to celebrate his coming home.

Eliza's heart cracked as she recalled the day he left for college back in August. She was proud that he was working hard and pursuing his dreams, but she never could have expected his absence tone as hard as it was. With every day she missed him more and more, and she would look to Thanksgiving break when he would finally be home. And now that it was finally here, she wanted it to be nothing less than perfect.

She took a deep breath through her nose, bringing herself back to reality. The day would only be perfect, she told herself, if she pulled herself together and got everything done. Philip would be here in a matter of hours. So for the rest of the morning, Eliza was like a machine. With sixteen-year-old Angie supervising the kids, she took to the house like a hostess hurricane, preparing their home for the family's arrival. Finally, the dining room was spotless, seating was arranged, and the turkey was on its way. They were ready.

Peggy and John arrived first. Their son Stephen quickly met up with James, and the two went to his room. Thanksgiving was always a rough day for James because of all the people and triggering sounds. Eliza hated the idea of him withdrawing from the family on a holiday, but as long as he was spending time with Stephen he was engaging in "family time," so she relented.

Her parents arrived later on with Eliza's adopted sister Cornelia, who was living at home until she graduated from medical school. Eliza couldn't help but get swept up in sorrow knowing that all of her other siblings were off spending Thanksgiving with their new families. John, Ren, Phil, all of them were married, and most of them had kids of their own. Eliza's heart went out to Angelica, whom the Schuyler family hadn't seen for Thanksgiving in years. Even though entertaining the family always stressed Eliza out, it was something she loved, and Thanksgiving just wasn't the same without everyone there. But she brightened, knowing that Philip was on his way. It wouldn't be long before all of her children were under the same roof once again.

After she had greeted her parents and sister, her cell phone rang. When she looked at the number, her heart fluttered.

"Philip! Hi, baby, how are you? Are you almost here?"

"Hey, Mom, I'll be there soon." The sound of Philip's voice caused a warm feeling to spread over her body. She couldn't wait to hug him. "Look, I'm sorry to do this to you last-minute, but I invited my girlfriend and her parents over... is that okay?"

A girlfriend? When did that happen?

"Oh... of course! We'll just have to get out a few more chairs."

"Cool. Thanks, Mom," Philip said; she could practically hear his smile. "She's amazing. I can't wait for you to meet her."

"I can't wait either," Eliza replied. She prayed she sounded convincing. "See you later. Love you."