Chapter 3

Driving down the icy street, Rachel could not stop thinking of the man with the amber eyes and charming smile. It was strange how he'd been there just as she was about to take the fall; as if he was there to break it and keep her from sure pain. Rachel smiled at his earlier comment about her being a beautiful woman. She wasn't used to men saying those kinds of things to her anymore. Ever since she had started to date Brody, she had never paid attention to, or cared about other men. He'd been the only one she cared about and all others were forgotten. Brody had been her everything. But now he was gone, never to return. That thought saddened her and she felt the tears on her cheeks. Not only would she never see him again, she would never have the opportunity to ask him all the questions she had. She had loved him deeply and the truth had frozen her heart. 

Nearing her parking spot, Rachel parked the car and sat there silently thinking of all she had lost. But instead of Brody crossing her mind, she saw Finn. What was her problem? She'd barely met him, but he already was occupying her thoughts. It scared her to think about him and how she just could not forget the husky and sexy voice. God Rachel. What is going on? You barely meet the guy and already you think he's sexy. Brushing all thought of Finn from her brain, Rachel gathered her bag and keys. Getting out of the car, she absentmindedly reached up to touch her locket. Even after everything, she still wore it. She couldn't force herself to take it off. Taking it off would signify that her and Brody were really over. That he was truly gone. She wasn't ready for that. Collecting her thoughts, Rachel briskly walked towards the building and prepared to go to work. 

Santana had slept in again today. She was on her two week holiday vacation and enjoying every moment of it. After all she was entitled to relax. Life had been hectic the past months and she had needed a break. Getting up, she put on her robe and made her way to the kitchen. Yawning loudly, she took out a large mug and filled it with milk, which she had forgotten to put away last night. Walking into the living room she took a look out the window, and saw the snow coming down hard. 

'Geez, when will it ever stop?' she asked out loud, unaware that sitting on her couch was Puck, who was watching her with a look of pure amusement. She looked so untamed, with her long dark hair all mussed from her pillow. She was a crazy sleeper. He'd watched her all night and she just could not keep still. He'd almost been tempted to go over and turn on the radio just to see what her reaction was, knowing that no one but her was in the house. Santana had always been different from everyone else. Her quirkiness attracted him to her and he loved that she was so spunky and loud. So different from Rachel, Santana was much more vocal and spontaneous. He knew she loved to date freely and her liberal ways made him flinch sometimes. Never a dull moment with her, all the men she'd dated knew that Santana was a social butterfly. 

As she took a seat next to him, Puck breathed in her scent. She smelled of exotic flowers. What in the world did she use for a perfume? He was looking at her and laughed when she accidentally got milk all over her robe. 

'I'm such a klutz,' she said to herself. All of a sudden she heard a crash in her kitchen and immediately ran over to see what had happened. The pots and pans she kept on the rack had all come tumbling down, making a nice mess of her kitchen. 

'Argh!' Bending down she started to pick them up when she felt the cold air on her back. Turning around Santana saw that her front door was wide open and snow was being brought in by the bitter wind. 'What the hell is happening?' she yelled. Puck was all smiles to see her so flustered and mad. She really did look cute when she was angry. Laughing, he started to go and his wings left behind a celestial sparkle all over Santana's couch and carpet. 

Unlocking the door to her office, Rachel walked in and took it all in. Everything was as she had left it. Setting her things on the cherry oak desk, Rachel felt a sense of familiarity and safety come over her. She had always felt like that in here. Being surrounded by her things and her writing, always made her feel safe. Rachel sat down in her big leather chair and closed her eyes. She had to clear her mind of everything else if she wanted to work like she always had. Sighing loudly, she started to look through her bag when she heard a knock at her door.