Chapter 5

Dregin awoke to find the space next to him empty. He opened his eyes wide, but his panic subsided instantly. She was sitting there at the desk combing her white mane of hair. An evident name. And very, very beautiful. The longing in his palms craved to touch that majestic nape and down the spine. The hair had been swept aside, whipped into a knot, and secured on the scalp. The blue turban wrapped around her head neatly. For a finishing touch, the snowy brows were painted lightly with browns. Good disguise, but however, she changed her outlooks he would always find her and know....She caught him.

"You're awake," she announced. He nodded smiling tiredly. "No....Wash your mouth." She began fixing her clothes. "It smelled awful."

"Not that awful," he protested.

She snorted. "Bad enough to wake me."

"You're not angry—" he began, but was cut off.

"Oh Dreg, stop being so paranoid. I don't like this wardrobe. It's so tight on me." She had come up to him. "I'm very annoyed wearing this thing."

He smiled curiously. "Are you joking? It's perfect."

Balled knuckles on hips, she narrowed her eyes. " So you can see thighs, buttocks, and everything else!"

"What do you want?"

""A bit of your account and a day of freedom from your presence. I'm not an ass to be steered around."

"What about crowds?"

"I doubt they would go to the places I'm going. Dreg, I can take care of myself."

"This moon would be soon."

"Can't I have a last adventure?"

He dangled the thought. "Enjoy yourself any days you wish. But please, don't be a shyee." He turned in bed. Right on schedule, she sat on the side of the bed, a hand touching his shoulder. "I feel lonely even to be a moment without you," he said, caressing her hand.

"You say that to many of your lovers. And I am not one of those," she said.

"No, you're not," he said conclusively.

"Dreg." No answer. "Beloved, I stay as you wish."

He writhed around in bed level-eyed. The hand that bled for his life was brought up between them. He kissed her wrist once. "You're not my wife yet. Go as you please." She reacted. " Your last adventures will end this moon, Chosen Night. I know."

"I won't embarrass you," she whispered.

An amused curl invaded his lips. "You are relieved."

"Since when did I swear you duty?"

"Acceptance, my dear. Unless you have forgotten."

"I can't win, can I?" She caught on to the humor, smiling herself.

Dreg reached up, curving his palm on the side of her face near the neck. A longing sigh exhaled as he regarded every detailed feature. She blushed. "You're so...." he shook his head slowly," just a goddess."

"I adore you...." White Mane was surprised she had spoken.

A soft laugh came smoothly from his throat. "Better still. Go, before I lose myself to your tease." He released her burning face. She stood and headed for the exit. "And take what you like from the desk."

White Mane started. Then, "Oh, right."

He watched wonderingly as she picked out a single gold plate. High taste, he noted. Every curve on her body was revealed in her stoop. She walked with decisive steps out of the tent. The flap fell over and she was gone.