A Cry for Hope

Lois Lane couldn't believe her eyes when she saw her son laying on the bed bleeding out.

Jon's fingers still grasped the batarang that stuck out of his forearm.

His mother's cries for help filled the room. "Please Clark... it's our son."

Any hesitation Superman had in him was erased. He stood up quickly from the chair in the living room of the the farmhouse. In a flash he was dressed in the uniform recognized around the world. His glasses along with overalls and a flannel lay in a lump where his feet resting on the end of the classic beige couch. A minute later, he was at the apartment building.

Lois held her baby boy close, having already called 911. Tears streamed down her face. She was afraid to remove the sharp batarang in fear it would cause him to bleed out more. Her arms were already covered in the half kryptonian's blood.

Superman was the one to slowly remove the batarang, and toss it aside, then rip some of his cape and wrap it tightly around the arm over the cut. His hands balled into dangerous fists.

"Bruce didn't do done this." Lois said though tears.

Clark frowned, holding back tears of his own. "We'll discuss this later. Right now he's alive, but he needs help." His words were void of emotion despite the tears welling up in his blue hues. Never had Lois ever heard her ex husband sound so much like Batman.

Tenderly, he picked his son up and took him from Lois. "I'll be back for you."

She shook her head, regaining her composure momentarily. "Stay with him. I'll meet you there." She choked out, eyes still locked on her child.

As the last of the sun set, Superman flew his son to the hospital. He didn't trust Batman would be able to do enough, and the caped crusader was in Gotham working on a Joker case anyway.

The doctors  rushed around and took him back, and the caped hero left only to return as Clark Kent seconds later after they'd rushed the boy back to an operation room. The gurney, once white and Sterile, was now stained with crimson.

A man in a white coat pulled him aside as he told a nurse at the front desk who he was. "Mr. Kent?"

"Yes, I'm Jon Kent's father, how is he?" Clark answered quickly. He still protected his identity.

"We Just admitted him into an operation room... Your son tried to commit suicide. I'm very sorry." The Doctor said.

The world seemed to spin as he sat down in a waiting room chair, holding his head in his hands.

"We're doing everything we can to save him, sir. I'm very sorry." The Doctor then excused himself to leave after receiving a slight nod from the man in the chair.

Clark didn't notice when he heard the sound of the familiar motor that was their car, or when Lois came to sit beside him. Blood was still on her hands. Even if she'd changed her shirt.

Deep down she knew her son had done this to himself. There was no explanation needed. They could still communicate like that.

"Lord, I know its been a while. I know I haven't been as faithful as I need to be, but please... Don't take my boy. Don't take my boy please. He's got so much to do still in his life. I want a second chance to be the father he deserves. Please dear God... don't take my boy away..." Clark's words were hardly audible. Only Lois could make out the murmurs. She clamped a hand over her own mouth, closing her eyes against tears.

"Our Father..." Clark blocked out all other sound. He was couldn't hear the chaos ensuing in the operation room Jon was dying in.

"Get me that blood I need that blood stat!"

"Who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name..."

"Type A! Where is that blood?"

"Thy kingdom come, thy will be done..."

"He's dropping, we need that blood quick!"

"On Earth as it is in heaven..."

"He's seizing! Get me the defibrillator!"

"Give us this day our daily bread..."

"We lost him, get it on him quick!"

"And forgive us our trespasses..."

"Clear!"

"As we forgive those who trespass against us..."

"Negative! Again!"

"And lead us Not into temptation..."

"Clear!"

"But deliver us from evil..."

"Negative! Come on!"

"For thine is the kingdom..."

"Come on!"

"And the power... and the glory forever..."

"Clear!"

"Amen."