1

Laid in the middle of the street, I inspect my outfit. To my surprise, it is completely different to what I was wearing before. Now I am in a dress as opposed to my 24601 t-shirt and leggings. Judging by the fabric and cut of the dress, I don't seem to be in poverty, so I can't help but wonder how I came across such riches. A man approaches, he looks rather drunk so I immediately deduce that he is Grantaire. Obviously, I can't let him know that I recognise him as we've obviously never met, however, my heart is pounding in my chest. This must be a dream. As expected, I'm really flustered. He helps me up and the two of us introduce ourselves to each other. Unsurprisingly, Enjolras isn't far behind. If they weren't characters in the 19th century, I would totally set them up. Realistically, however, their relationship would most likely be illegal at this point in history and they are both already in enough trouble with the law, (not to mention the fact that I have a major crush on Enjolras.) but right now I shouldn't be thinking about such trivial things, I need to figure out what on earth is going on right now. On the other hand, Enjolras is getting closer and he seems to be all I can focus on right now. He's so incredibly handsome not to mention that his drive and ambition to make a difference in the world are incredibly attractive qualities. Stop it (Y/N)! You can't even begin to fall for him! He's not interested in relationships, you need to get home and most importantly, he's destined to die during the June Rebellion! Even though I try to rationalise all this, it's extremely difficult to do. Suddenly, I snap out of my childish trance and notice that Enjolras is stood right in front of me now and is clearly trying to get my attention.
"M-Monsieur" I stutter.
Of course, all Enjolras wants to discuss is the revolution but I'm still trying to process the fact that I am actually having a conversation with him.
"Mademoiselle, are you paying attention! Of course, you'd rather turn a blind eye!"
At this point, he seems rather judgemental but I know that's just his passion for the cause (which is another extremely attractive quality.) even though I know I should just leave it at that before my delusions grow any stronger, this could be my chance, I could finally be able to fight for something.
"Actually I care deeply about the revolution and want to help create a new France, where everyone is equal. Vive la France!"
As expected, this gets his attention. Smiling he enthusiastically tells me about Les Amis de l'ABC and tells me that if I care as much as I claim to I should attend a meeting. I agree and smile back as Grantaire hands me a cockade. With that said, the two boys walk away to attend to their intended business before I distracted them. I head off in the opposite direction, acting like I also have business to attend to. Taking in the sights I feel like I'm walking through a thick haze. Even though I know this world is far from perfect, and I still wanna get back home, somehow I feel as though my wish has been granted. As I'm wandering I literally bump into someone. Looking up I see Inspector Javert. Even though he's not inherently evil, he is the enemy of Les Amis de l'ABC, which I suppose makes him my enemy now. However, he's glaring at me more than he glares at Jean Valjean which is definitely saying something.
"How dare you" he growls.
Not knowing what to say, I look back at him with pure confusion plastered across my face. Without warning, he grabs my hand and practically drags me to a rather large residence before declaring:
"I took you in and this is how you choose to repay me! You're an embarrassment to us both"
Once he has said this he leaves. Right now my dreamlike haze has turned into a cloud of confusion. About 10 minutes pass and I suddenly realise.
I'm Javert's ward
It's as if everything's clicked into place in my brain. Finally, everything makes sense. That's how I could afford the fine clothes I'm wearing. Of course, this isn't a good thing. It'll be impossible to keep this hidden from Enjolras and the rest of Les Amis de l'ABC. Especially when Gavroche meets me, nothing gets past him. Perhaps if I leave this and don't look back, Javert might disown me. Javert isn't my real father, in fact, I only met him a few minutes ago, so there's literally no reason for me to stay. Hastily I leave, hoping that I'll be welcomed by Les Amis de l'ABC. Leaning against the wall, I fall asleep in the gutter. It may be tough now but I know that it'll all be worth it in the end.

Daybreak, the first thing I do is go straight to the tavern. If I'm going to be here a while I need to try and earn a living. Approaching the bar I practically beg for employment. To my relief, the owner says she could use the help and lets me work behind the bar. I work all day, however, even after a full day of labour, I still don't have enough for a decent meal. The harsh environment is really taking it's toll on me now and I've only been here for a day.

Later that evening Les Amis de l'ABC start their meeting. I'm still technically working but am able to take a break to join in with their discussion. By the end of the meeting, my motivation is no longer grounded in fantasy. I no longer want to go home. Even though this world is tough, I'm not leaving until I've made a real difference for all the people living in it.

The meeting concluded when the tavern closed so I left with the others. When I'm certain that they've all gone their separate ways and I won't be seen. I take my place in the gutter. Even though I've never been particularly religious, I decide to pray for the first time. Hopefully there's someone listening.