2

CW: Mentions of abuse

Desperately I try to keep warm and stay alive. Right now, that's my only objective. As the rain falls, I grow colder. Nobody even considers helping. Why did I ever romanticise this era? I wish I was back in the 21st century. But alas, that is not the case, so I'm going to have to deal with the situation I'm in, on the bright side, maybe I could help to make a difference. Unfortunately, my attempt at optimism is thwarted by a dark thought suddenly clawing its way into my head. What will happen if I die? In the musical (which is the specific version of Les Mis that I seem to have found myself in.) everyone goes to heaven, however, I'm not supposed to be a part of this universe so will the same happen to me. The best-case scenario is that I would be sent home to carry on with my normal life, but that would be too good to be true. So what will happen? Every so often, everyone questions their mortality, usually they think that the reaper won't come for a long time; now, however, I know my death is practically guaranteed to be at some point in the near future. Either I die in the rebellion in a few months time, or I die out here on the dark cold street. Lost in thought, I don't notice Eponine roaming the street. We met at this evening's meeting. Almost immediately, the two of us became friends
"Y/N?"
Trying to seem strong, I look up and brave a small smile. Obviously, Eponine's confused as for when we met I was wearing fine clothing and now I'm sleeping in the gutter but she doesn't seem phased though based on what I know about her character that doesn't surprise me. Sitting beside me, we talk for a couple of hours and I tell her that I was Javert's ward and I ran in order to join the revolution as soon as I knew what was happening. Technically this isn't a lie, it's just an edited version of the truth, I don't want to weird her out by talking about time travel or inter-dimensional travel or whatever this actually is. If I have to make a life here, I'm going to need to make friends and I'm pretty sure that no one would want to be friends with some crazy beggar that blabbers on about being from the 21st Century. That'll have to stay my little secret. It feels like half of my life is a secret here and I'd give anything to be able to tell someone. Perhaps, I could tell Eponine about my crush on Enjolras, it seems petty but I can't tell her about any of the big secrets and it'd be nice to get something off my chest, besides, she may have some degree of understanding considering her unrequited love for Marius, however, I should still probably wait until we're closer as friends. Part of me thinks that telling anyone would be pointless, he views love as a distraction his only focus is the revolution. But even if I deny my feelings I know that they will never disappear. Time to face the facts: I am in love with Enjolras. Cruel irony...the first person I've ever fallen for someone who will probably never fall for anyone, let alone me. Part of me is saying that I can't love him already; it's impossible to love someone you've only just met. Deep down, however, I know that I have known him for so much longer than it seems due to how many times I've seen him in the show. Besides, if Marius and Cosette can fall in love in literally three seconds, I'm pretty sure anything can happen here. Well, almost anything...there's still little hope for him ever falling for me. His priority is the revolution and that's that. I need to learn to accept that. Or else I'll die chasing a fantasy; I'll live the rest of my life dwelling on a life that will never be, and, frankly, I don't want that to be my fate. I've seen how a life like that affected Eponine. I have to forget my feelings, I have no choice!
During my internal struggle, my emotions must have gotten the best of me as I suddenly feel a tear roll down my cheek. After the first one made its way to the surface a stream rapidly follows. Sitting beside me Eponine asks what's wrong. Even though it's nothing compared to the problems in her life, I find myself blurting out everything that I've been thinking about from my fears of mortality to Enjolras and my feelings towards him; in fact the only thing that I decide to keep a secret is the whole truth about my past (or should I say future?). Throughout this rant, Eponine listens, she doesn't seem to care that I most likely sound like a spoiled brat to her and treats all of my current problems with the same respect as I would any of hers. Once I have finished I proceed to give her the same opportunity to get anything she needs to off of her chest. Of course, she mentions Marius which I find quite ordinary as I have obviously discussed relationships with my friends back home, however, she then, in whispered tones, cautiously moves onto the darker issue of the abuse she is facing from her father. Of course, I knew that this was going on, it's a major part of her character in both the book and the musical, however, I am still shocked into silence. It's impossible to know how to respond in these situations, especially in the nineteenth century, where no support is available. The police wouldn't listen to us, I'm a traitor, she's a thief if we dared to get the law involved we'd both be arrested. All I can do is listen and support her, she rests against me in the gutter. If you think about it Eponine and I are pretty similar. Both of us were abandoned by society, neither of us has the support of our family; both of us are deeply in love with somebody, neither of the men that we love are aware of our true feelings...and even if they were they could never love us back. It's not meant to be. Fate has screwed us both over.

A/N: Hope you enjoyed this second chapter. Sorry that it was so gloomy but it is a Les Mis fanfic. There will be more Enjolras in the next chapter I promise but I wanted to establish the characters relationship with Eponine as she will remain a close friend of the reader throughout the story. Once again hope you enjoyed the chapter.