Clara

Dielari: Why?

Chapter 3

Clara

This is it. it's 5.45pm and he should be here any minute. I don't know what to do, I didn't know what was going to happen. what is he going to say, what will I say? What is it you say to the man that broke your heart after 4 years together? A whole year of those 4 being engaged and planning your dream wedding. if I'm being totally honest, I'm scared. I'm scared if I open up my heart and let it all out, then he may hurt me again.

At 6:03 there's a knock on the door. I gulp, take a breath and walk over to the door before opening it. I'm hit by the smell of Diego's cologne, and I'm pretty sure it was the one he used when we were going on a date.

"Hi." he says with a half smile. "I got you these too," he hands me a gorgeous bouquet of tulips, my favourite flowers.

I smile as I take the flowers,"Thanks they're gorgeous."

This would usually be the point where he says a cheesy but sweet line such as 'but not as gorgeous as you.' Except he doesn't, he says nothing at all. He just stands there awkwardly.

I take the flowers and put them in a vase with some fresh water.

"Would you like anything to drink?" I ask coming back to the loving room placing the flowers down on the table.

He shakes his head,"No thanks."

I bite my lip before saying,"We both know why you're here. We both know why we have to talk, we both know this was bound to happen. So what do you want to do?"

Diego looks at me, why does he do that? I try to look away but he lightly grabs my head forcing me to look him in the eyes."Look at me Clara. look at me. we need to do this."

'Clara.' He never called me that, not once. He really means it.

I groan,"Fine. But let me go first, I mean it's only fair seeing as you were the one who left me."

He nods,"I'm okay with that."

I take a deep breath before saying what's been on my mind for the past year.

"Diego, you left me standing there, at the altar. On our wedding day. Do you realise how awful I felt? You didn't even look at me, you ran away before I even had a chance to walk down the aisle. But the worst part was 12 hours before, the night before our wedding, you said you loved me, that I was 'the one' and that you'd never leave me, you would never stop loving me. for 4 years we were together Diego, 2 of those years we were on set or on tour and couldn't spend as much time as we wanted to together, and then for a few months we had all the time we wanted. when you proposed, I couldn't have been happier, I felt like my life was finally complete, the love of my life proved his love for me. And then when you just left, for whatever reason, I felt stupid. everyone was there to see us get married, and I was so embarrassed standing there in my dress with my bouquet only to be told the groom had done a runner. Did you expect me to forgive you? To think 'oh poor Diego he must have a reason, I forgive him' because yes you have a reason but what reason would be good enough to leave your bride to be standing there alone?"

And for the first time in years, I'd let out all these emotions I had bottled up inside of me finally be free. It felt good, I managed to tell him exactly how I feel, which I didn't think I'd be able to do. However one question still rests on my lips,"Why? Why did you do it?"