Chapter Six

Welcome Back!

Read a banner, twisted from string to string across the walls. There wasn't any change, just the lights seemed a little less distressing. 

"You did all this for me?" She beamed, eyes upwards. 

The soft click of the door closed, with the humming of the Tardis she had dearly missed. It was quiet, but peaceful. Something she'd wanted most of the time.

He shook his head, slumping her suitcases on the ground "Thank the Tardis"

Although most of her complaints were about this box, she enjoyed her most of the time and now appreciates the things she does for her. She flashed a smile at the ceiling, earning a hum.

"Oh" She looked down, things clicking in her mind so late.

"What?" 

"I forgot to tell Angie and Artie that I was leaving..."

Maybe leaving was a mistake after all, she knew he couldn't promise to keep her. Everything will end up here again, at her garden where she walks away, crying silently as the enchanted home of hers dashed off to wonder space again, carrying a lonely man on it's way.

"It's better if you kept it that way, you don't want to break their heart's"

"But they'll find out. The whole neighbourhood will go crazy in search of me. I don't know anymore Doctor, I just, I can't..."

She lifted her arm up, fingers against her temple, squeezing her eyes shut. 

And then he saw it.

"Clara?" He walked up to her, concern filling his eyes. He took her arm, lifting her sleeve away from her wrist, examining the dried cuts.

"Doctor, honestly it's noth-"

"Tell me what happened?"

"Look it's fine!" Her voice was pleading. His grip was strong enough to crack a bone, she couldn't twist away so easily.

"Tell me!" His face staggering towards her. She could leave, right now but stress is awaiting out there.

Clara inhaled deeply, she feared crying in front of him or she'd unleash all her inner sorrows.

"I..."

"I cut my self" 

The time lord furrowed his eyebrows, his eyes drifting along the lines of the gashes. They looked deep, deep enough to kill him right through. 

"Why?"

"Because life isn't easy! I just lost my mother, and the whole world is crashing above me. I get depressed and stressed, tired from looking after two kids everyday! and there's no one here to care..." She sniffed tears away, not caring anymore.

"Then why didn't you tell me?" He could feel all the pressure shes going through, every inch of it.

"Because, you'll get mad at me..."

The things that haunt her in her rest and climb above her bed at night, he was part of that. The things that she'd cry for at night, he was part of that.

He faced the floor, his reflection staring back at him. He felt sick.

Here he was thinking he was the least she would be afraid of. Thinking that he would always knock down a part of dejected thoughts. The truth was, he was nothing. What was he worth to her? not even a grain of sand. On the other hand, he wasn't easy to be fooled either. 

"I think I've learn't something today" He sighed, looking back at her.

"What?"

"That you are a really great liar" 

"W-what do you mean?" Clara asked, puzzled

The Doctor stepped forward, taking her very well made bruised arm.

"And that you also have great skills in art" He took his thumb and rubbed one of the cuts, it took time but the ink soon faded into a light ruby red. 

Her face began to drain from colour. What a liar had she become? So far she had came that she could even be rewarded an award for it. However, it was nothing to be gifted for. Her heart increased, the thrumming of it was slamming against her head. 

"I-I don't understand"

"Is that a lie I hear Clara?" He mocked.

Her body was screaming, a tingling sensation was running through her fingers and arms making it become numb. 

"Please don't say anything to me. Please don't" Her lip was quivering.

He watched her in disgust, the fact that she faked to self harm was even disgusting. 

Clara gave up and her sight became dim. She couldn't tell if it was tears or not.

Clara...Fall asleep...

No one would mind. Close your little eyes...

Wrapping her hands around her knees, she ducked her head in between and rocked her self on the floor. Her fingers clawing her other hand, these marks a lot more real. Her pulse was racing, even her hearing was zapping out. 

She could almost hear the Doctor calling out for her, but she let her knees go too early which allowed her fragile head to strike against the ground. A leak of thick blood escaped from her nostrils.