Chapter 2: A Monster Lurks

In the car ride to your newly acquired "home", anxiety bubbled in your stomach as reality slowly began to settle in. You had just signed your life away to these unknown people who wanted to isolate you from society so they can study an alien that has unknown intentions towards you.

The nurse who was sat next to you noticed your leg twitching rapidly a clear sign of your nervousness. She smiled at you kindly resting her hand on your knee. At her touch you shied away not really wanting to be comforted by a stranger.

"It's okay dear nothing bad is going to happen. I know this is all very overwhelming and the doctors may come off a certain way but they truly do want what is best for everyone, especially you." Her hand found its way to your knee again though she withdrew it already seeing your leg tense to shake her away.

"If it makes you feel any better think of it like this, you get a free house!" She said cheerfully though it came out strained and forced almost like she was trying to convince herself instead of you. You pulled yourself against the car door wanting to get away from her.

Nodding awkwardly, you zoned out as she kept talking to you her mindless chatter turning into background noise. Staring out the window you watched as places you recognized flashed past and the town you grew up in slowly dissolved into dense wilderness.

A sudden jostle in the car threw every one, startling them and you felt your ankle throbbing as it had smacked against a cupholder jutting from the door. The remainder of the trip consisted of you staring out the window in hopes you don't get motion sick from the rocky dirt roads the car took tossing you about.

In the front passenger seat was the female doctor from before, her short dark hair whipping around her face as she leaned out of the window looking through blocky binoculars. You scoffed internally genuinely hoping the car hit a hole and she dropped them. While these people hadn't done anything malicious to you, you still held ill content towards them as they had given you no choice in the matter of ripping your life away so they could catch an alien.

Watching this woman through the side view mirror was a sure-fire way for her to think you were a creep but you could care less about what these lunatics thought about you. You already couldn't stand her and you didn't even remember her name or if she ever even told you it. Lost in your passive aggressive thoughts you almost didn't notice her suddenly stilling as she squinted into the binoculars.

For some reason her expression changed rapidly between one of bewilderment and something akin to fear. You sat up as a wide smile pulled the woman's lips back revealing porcelain white teeth.

'This can't be good' you thought squirming in your seat when suddenly the car jerked, swerving side to side as the driver struggled to right the vehicle, dirt flying up from the squealing tires. You accidentally bit down on your tongue as you clung to the inside of the car for dear life wondering if this is where you died. Though as the car righted itself, the driver sweated profusely as he slowed the car to a crawl allowing everyone to collect themselves.

"What the hell was that?" You finally snapped in surprise as your whole body now ached from the jolting.

"This is amazing! Even with the new equipment he can still track your sent! He's watching us from the sun roof right now!" The doctor shouted gleefully clearly ignoring you. She was practically trembling in excitement as she stared out of the sun roof with her binoculars. You look between her and the sunroof window in confused horror as you now genuinely believe that this bitch is psycho as there was nothing outside.

'This bitch really is nuts' you concluded as she practically threw herself at the roof of the car pressing forward to get a better look at the 'nothing' that was out there.