Chapter One

Present Day
-
"Shane, I don't need help!" I shouted from the car.

"Nonsense" he shouted back. "I'm not going to let you move into your apartment all by yourself" he opened the door to my apartment building and propped it open with a heavy box.

"But you have finals" I said loudly.

"I know"

"And you have to study so beat it"

"I can study here" he smiled as he opened the car door for me.

I pulled his pick out his hair and pushed it back in. "My naps" he winced.

I opened the trunk and looked at all the crap I had to lug in the house. Good thing I living on the first floor.

"This is too much" I said. "Go home"

"Cezanne-"

"I'll take out what I can and wait for you tomorrow after finals"

He sighed. "Okay don't stay out too late, it's not that safe over here"

"Good luck on your exam"

"Thanks" he winked as he got into his SUV. "See you tomorrow"

I waved as he drove off in the direction of his house. I turned back to my car and started pulling out boxes in the trunk.

Shane is hardly a friend, he's more like a sidekick. I met him at the store he works at a while ago and he kept being weird every time I went to his cash register. I asked him what he was being weird for and he told me I was cute and intimidating.

Then after some more time of talking. I learned he was in college and in need of a tutor. Long story short I became his tutor and he considers me a potential partner. Since he's so in love with me I can use him to my best advantage. To me he's just an alibi.

Moving back and forth for hours I completely unpacked my trunk, loosing track of time and loosing daylight. I closed my trunk, locked my car and headed to the big box that was keeping the door open. I pulled at the box trying to pick it up but it didn't move.

I bent down and lifted with my knees like I'm always told and still wasn't able to lift the box.

I sat on the ground debating taking everything inside of it out but that would take forever and just make a mess. "Do you need help?" A voice boomed from behind me.

I turned around and looked up at the officer smiling at me.

I always get nervous around police, I don't want to but it's just in my nature.

"Oh hi" I slowly stood up so he wouldn't think I was doing anything wrong. "Yes I do" I wiped my eyebrow with my long sleeved shirt.

"Okay" he chuckled. He bent over and picked up the box with a bit of a struggle. "I'm not going to lie this is a bit heavy"

I laughed. "Follow me"

I walked inside my apartment and told him to put the box anywhere. He politely obliged and put it on the counter.

"You're just moving in" he said. "Nice, welcome"

"Thank you"

"I live just across from you"

"Oh great" I said half-enthusiastically. "Lights off at nine, I'm guessing" I pointed to his badge.

He laughed. "No I won't police you, I promise" he stuck his hand out. "I'm Officer Black"

How ironic, he's black and his last name is black.  "Nice to meet you, I'm Cezanne"

"Nice to meet you too" he looked into my eyes as if he was trying to read me or figure me out or something.