Fresh Start (4/6) [A Haven Story]

I was using Connecticut as a cover to prevent the Guard from finding me. Now that this whole town knows what my true power is, I have to leave here and wipe the memory of my existence from everyone's mind.

I stand from the chair and nearly topple over. I catch myself with the bed and lift myself onto it. I straddle Boyd's waist and sit up on him. I tuck my hair behind my ears before I kiss him awake.

He hums into the kiss and sits up with me still him his lap. He wraps his warms around me and says:

"Good morning,"

"I'm so sorry I had to do this, Boyd." I say.

"Do what?"

I cup the side of his face and look deeply into his eyes. His face drooped as he fell underneath my mind spell.

"Who am I?"

"You are Karmen Nadherny, my soon-to-be fiancé." He says in a monotone voice.

Guilt weighs on my conscience as I realize that he was going to propose to me. But I have to worry my about myself right now; it's my life that is on the line.

"Wrong, I was never your soon-to-be-fiancé. I was simply your girlfriend for three years and I died, in a fire. You miss me very much, but you will learn to move on sooner or later." I say.

"Yeah, I'll learn to move on sooner or later." He confirms.

"Great," I say as I slide off of his waist and onto the bed.

"No grab me a rope, a pair of scissors and some duct tape." I command.

"Okay,"

He walks aimlessly into work room and came back with what I wanted him to get.

"Now sit down,"

He complies and I cut off a piece of rope and do a Prusik knot around his wrists. I do the same to his feet and then I put duct tape on his mouth. Then I told him to play back on the bed and fall back asleep. When he complies once again, I slide on black tights and a light blue top with black sneakers.

Then I put on my black jacket and a black hat. I bring my purse and empty pout everything that I kept it in. I pull out my duffel bag of cash from beneath the floor boards of the house and pull in a couple of wad of cash into my purse.

I went to the store and bought bleach, two boxes of black hair dye and canned foods. I went into the darkest parts of Greenwich in search of a man who makes fake identities. I asked around for someone who could make them in the fastest time possible.

I caught many stares but luckily, none of them tried anything. Perhaps a part of them knew that I am someone who has over 60,000 different troubles in my body. It would not be wise to go against someone that powerful.

After asking around long enough, they pointed me to a man named Kendrick. He owns a massive drug cartel that runs through all of Connecticut. Right now he was at a bar, playing poker with some of his friends.

The stench of smoke and wooden polish assaults my nose as I walk into the bar. The bar is quite full at four in the morning, but oh well. I scan the room and saw the description of Kendrick that was given to me. A short, Italian man with a mole on the left side of his jaw and two golden front teeth. He wears a dress shirt, dress pants and worn down dress shoes. He stands up from his table momentarily and went to the bar for a drink.

Perfect timing for me to ask him a question. I sit down next to him and stare straight forward as I fold my hands into my lap.

"So I heard that you are the guy to see when I need a new identity, fast." I say lowly.

He hums before saying:

"Why would the town's hero need a new identity?"

"That's for me to worry about. Can you get me the identity or not?" I ask.

"Do you have the green?" He asks.

I set my purse on the counter and slide it to him. He unzips the purse and nearly choked on his drink when he sees how much money it in the purse.

"Follow me,"

"Gladly,"