The real thing

He walked Jac back to ITU. How could something as mundane as having lunch together make him so happy.
"Here we are back to your castle princess" he said opening the door
"Prison more like" she grumbled
"Well you're certainly getting better" he chuckled
"Ah Ms Naylor" one of the ITU consultants came over "we're planning to move you to Darwin for a few days until you're discharged"
Jac nodded "I'll be able to keep an eye on things"
Fletch gave an exasperated sigh "you'll be there as a patient "
"Well you'll remember how well that turned out last time I was there - I ended up helping you out I seem to remember"
"Oh wind your neck in Naylor you were a pure nightmare. Just try not to make any of my nurses cry this time"
"I make no promises Fletcher"
He just chuckled "see you later"
She echoed his laugh "not if I see you first"
"Right well. That seems all in order. Tracey can you arrange the transfer please"
Tracey was a student nurse who surprisingly Jac got on with. She wasn't patronising like the others and Jac enjoyed hearing about her antics. It helped with the boredom
"So how long have you and Me Fletcher been together?" She said packing Jac's bag
"Erm What makes you think we're together"
"Oh well you know. The bants, the looks and I know I've seen him hold your hand"
God this girl was not scared of the great Jac Naylor at all
"The bants?"
"You know the banter, the good natured ribbing of each other. It's really cute actually"
"Cute! Now I feel sick" she looked thoughtfully at Tracey and wondered why she was about to confess
"You're right about the looks, the hand holding. The banter- well that's been going on a year at least. We had a 'moment' a few weeks ago"
"Ooh what kind of moment"
Jac glared
"Sorry carry on"
"I told him I didn't want him, it's too complicated with kids etc and my track record is a disaster and I didn't want to hurt him. But then this" she vaguely gestured the machines and ITU environment "I asked him to look after my daughter if I didn't make it. Make decisions about my treatment if I couldn't"
"Mmm They're some pretty mixed messages you're giving out there"
"I know" what was it with this girl. Anyone else would have been absolutely annihilated by the Naylor tongue but not Tracey
"Totally unfair right? Anyway two days ago he came bursting in saying he wanted more than friends and so did I. So in answer to your original question about 48 hrs but feels like over a year"
"Wow " Tracey said "it's the real thing MsNaylor"
Jac smiled to herself. Definitely the real thing

———————————————————————
A/N
What even is this chapter? Apologies