Should've Said No

Author's Note: Shout out to little_squirrel_234. Thank you for the song inspiration. If anyone has a song they'd like to see as a story, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Warning, I will twist the song sometimes, like I did here. I'm sorry if it's bad......

Clary

"I....I just don't understand Jace," I cry into my best friend's arms.

"Clary, he's a fool. It's his loss," Jace assures me.

"Yeah, then why do I feel like the loser," I counter. Jace winces slighly.

"You have to be strong," Jace gently requests. "You have to go to school tomorrow and show him he can't hurt you."

"But he can," I whisper.

"Clary, if that asshole, who I never liked mind you, can't be loyal to you, then it's his loss. You're the smartest, most beautiful, girl I've ever known," Jace says.

"Stay with me," I plea.

"Move over bed hog," Jace teases. Then, he jumps on my bed and squishes me.

"Get off," I squeal. Jace rolls onto the unoccupied side of the bed, laughing. He lays me on his chest gently and we fall asleep.

The Next Day At Lunch

Sebastian approaches my table. Jace instantly tenses. "Clary, please talk to me," Sebastian pleas.

"No, you don't get to talk to her," Jace growls.

"Let her talk for herself Mr. Bodyguard," Sebastian chuckles. Then, he turns to me. "Clary, I'm sorry. Please accept me apology."

"You shouldn't have cheated on me. You should've said no," I reply.

"It was a one time mistake. I was drunk and she was hot," Sebastian tries to explain.

"Leave her alone," Jace demands.

"I'll talk to you later Clary. In the meantime, you should get control of your bodyguard. He might get hurt one of these times," Sebastian smirks. Then, he walks away.

"Let's have a movie night," Jace offers. "I'll bring the snacks and you can host."

"Sure, My mom and dad are working out of town. What time?" I ask inquisitively.

"I have football practice, so about 6," Jace responds.

"Okay, I'll see you then," I smile.

Several Hours Later (6:37P.M.)

Jace still isn't here. Maybe he forgot. I know sometimes the team goes out after practice for food. I sit on the couch waiting.

Ten minutes later, I decide to text him.

Me: Jace, it's almost 7. Are you coming?

He doesn't answer. I wait fifteen minutes and try again.

Me: I won't be mad if you can't make it, just tell me you're okay.

He doesn't answer. Maybe he got hurt during practice? I should go make sure he's okay. I walk toward the door. I open it and a body falls into the entry. What the heck? I kneel down to see who it is. I....it's Jace. He groans. "Jace, what happened to you?" I ask concerned.

"S....seb...." Jace manages. He's really hurt!

"Shhh, don't talk, it's okay," I coo. "Can you walk to the couch?"

Jace nods slowly. I help him get up and then we make it to the couch together. I carefully plop him down. "I'll be right back," I explain. I run to my bathroom and find the first aid kit. Then, I run back to the living room. Jace is right where I left him.

"Where did they hurt you?" I ask, almost in tears. This is all my fault! Jace was sticking up for me and now he's hurt.

"S....sto....stomach a...and c...ch....chest," Jace whimpers.

"I'm going to need you to take your shirt off. Can you?" I question worriedly. Jace shakes his head.

"H.....hurts," Jace explains. I nod.

"I, uhhh, I'm going to cut it off," I reply.

"K....k," Jace says. I grab the medical scissors and cut down the middle of his shirt. Then, I peel it off of him. Oh Jace! I take a sharp breath.

"They......I'm so sorry. I....I'd understand if you didn't want to be my friend anymore," I told back tears. "Y....you have bruises all over your chest and stomach. S...some are bigger than my fist."

Jace slowly lifts his arm and wipes my tears, wincing as he does. "It's not your fault. Sebastian and his friends cornered me after practice. T....they beat me until I was unconscious. The next the I knew, I was on your doorstep." Jace stares at my no doubt raccoon face. "As for the bruises, they'll heal."

"Anything you need, I'll be here for you," I assure him.

"Anything?" Jace whispers, suddenly shy. What is he doing?

"Anything," I firmly reply.

"K...kiss me?" Jace asks nervously. What? I mean......we're friends. "I...I'm sorry, just forget about it." Jace turns his head away from me.

"When did you start having feelings for me?" I ask gently.

Jace plays with his thumbs. "Look, I got the rejection loud and clear. Let's just not talk about it," Jace responds. I gently lean toward Jace and peck his cheek.

"I'm trying to figure all of this out, I'm not rejecting you," I assure him. "Now, when did you start liking me?"

"When you told me about your and Sebastian's first date. Your eyes were full of light, and I realized, I wanted to be the person making them that way. I couldn't say when I started liking you, but I can tell you the moment I thought I would forever watch someone else light your world," Jace explains.

I gently brush my lips against Jace's. "I like you too," I whisper. After I finish cleaning Jace's wounds, we lay down, side by side, on my bed and go to sleep.

○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Author's Note:
I hope you all like it! Please leave comments, votes, and feedback.

Originally posted: 11/30/18