Chapter 1

Y/N P.O.V

This is it. This is the moment of truth. This battle could end the war of Angels, devils, and fallen angels. I serve God, and fight for heaven. Yes, I am only human, and I do not posses the same powers as those around me. I can't fly, I don't have wings, and I don't have supernatural strength. But I am skilled with a sword, and am able to fight, despite my clear disadvantage. People ask me if I'm scared. My answer is yes, but I would never show it. It is my choice to fight, and I would do anything for the Lord. And right now, was going to be the start of what we hope to be the last battle. All sides have lost too many. But the deaths of those we have lost will not be in vain. We will win this fight, and we will finally have peace.

???: Hey, you sure your ready for this?

I looked to my left to see an angel. She was beautiful, and seemed as if she was going to be fighting along side me.

???: We aren't forcing you to fight. You can step out now, before it's too late. You have already helped us enough, and it would be a shame if something were to happen to you during this battle. We can't guarantee your survival.

Y/N: I already know this. I knew the risk I was taking the minute I picked up my sword. But I must do whatever I can, if it means a chance at peace. I may not have any kin to carry out my legacy, but at least I know that I will have helped end this bloody war.

???: The others who volunteered with you.... they would be proud of you.

Yes, I wasn't the only human to help serve God in this war. There quite a few of us, maybe about 30, but I am all that's left.

Y/N: Just as I am proud of them.

Out army was looking out towards an open field. This would be the battleground in a few minutes. Once all factions arrive, nothing but all our war would break out. I grab onto the cross around my neck with my right hand. Then I say a quick prayer for the brave people fighting along side me.

???: Your a good man, Y/N.

It's rather funny that she knows my name. So many people die, that most of us don't bother learning each other's names, since we won't be around each other for too long.

I look over the hill to the south, and see that the devils have arrived. Then I hear the marching of the fallen angels coming from the west. I won't lie, I am feeling very nervous right now. My faith is strong, but like any man, I too fear death. But maybe, just maybe, there could be a happy ending to this story. Maybe we could all just drop our weapons and head back home. Maybe there could be no conflict. Maybe peace was a choice, and we just never realized it. My thoughts were quickly obliterated, as the man standing in front of me was shot dead by an arrow, which clearly came from the fallen angel side.

All: CHAAAAAARGE!!!

This means the battle has started. All three army's sprinted towards the middle of the field. And as soon as factions met, swords started clashing, fire started burning, and shields were clashing.

Y/N: Deus Vult!

I ran into the battle, ready to fight. All fear has left me. The only thing left, was my faith. I ran up to a fallen angel, and used my sword to slice his head right off. I looked to my left and saw a sword coming down upon me. I raised my sword above me, in an attempt to block it. I succeeded, and proceeded to stab my sword right trough their chest. Then I was shoved from behind, and saw a man in a full suit of armour, who I think must be from the devil faction.
I swung my sword at him, but it bounced right off. He used the hilt of his weapon to bash me in the face, dazing me for a few seconds. But I recovered just in time to dodge a attack coming right for me. I started half swording my weapon, holding it from the blade, to use it as an improvised blunt weapon. I swung my sword at his head, and he stumbled back a bit. I swung one more time, as hard as I could, and hit him in the head again. He fell down to one knee, so I took the opportunity to kick him in the face, knocking him to the ground. I leaped on top of him, desperately trying to remove his helmet. I managed to pry it off, and I used my backup knife that I keep in my left thigh, to stab him through the side of his head. I quickly got up, and looked around. All around me, there were people fighting. But off on the hill, I saw a few devil archers. I need to take them out, before they pick off our soldiers. I sprinted out of the crowd, and snuck my way behind enemy lines. I reached the archers, and truck then down one by one.

I look down over the battle, and all I see is war. The beautiful field we are once looked at, was now full of blood and fire. I turned around and saw a fallen angel behind me. She looked at me, and readied her weapon. But to my left, there was also a devil, who was holding his weapon in a battle stance. All three of us slowly rotated, waiting to see who would strike first. But then i realized something. What's the point? The three of us, we are all people. What would come of one death? I slowly lower my weapon. I see the devil do the same, and I see the fallen angel do it as well. I looked back at the field, but it was even worse than before. Bodies scattered around the floor, people trying to crawl to safety. People were all still fighting, and fire was spreading across the trees around us. I looked back at the other two, and saw they were thinking the same thing. But then I heard the swoosh of an arrow, and I went directly into the devils shoulder. He yelled in both pain and rage, and charged towards the fallen angel. She then ran towards me, and I readied my weapon. I guess peace isn't an option anymore. I block the fallen angels attack, and see her head split open from the devils axe. I charged at him, and bashed him with my shoulder, putting him off guard. Then I swung my sword directly into his shoulder, and twist the blade as hard as I could, tearing his arm off. Then his lifeless body fell to the ground, right next to the fallen angels body.

I kneel down beside both bodies, and shut their eyes.

Y/N: Rest In Peace, may you find happiness in your afterlife.

I stand up again, and see that the angels and soldiers of my side are retreating. But there are so few of them. There is no way they could survive this. They run towards my direction.

???: Retreat!!!

I see that the devils and fallen angles have teamed up to put us down. My fellow soldiers run past me, but I hold my ground. I hold my sword up in a battle stance. I will make sure that my brothers and sisters make it out of this battle alive. I will cover their retreat. Both factions run towards me, ready to finish me off.

Y/N: Deus vult

I run towards them as well. I pick up a shield from the floor, as well as a flail. This weapon is just as dangerous to me as it is to my enemy, but I know how to wield it properly. I charge into one of the devils, and swing my flail at another. I feel swords clashing against my armour, and I hear lots of yelling. I hold my shield up, blocking all attacks coming at me. Then I swing my flail all around me, killing or knocking back anybody who dares to come close to me. But then I see the devils start fighting the fallen angles again, and the two factions resume fighting once more. They didn't forget about me though, as two devils and three fallen angles make their way towards me. I charge one of them, bashing them with my shield. Then I manage to wrap my flail around another ones neck, and pull with all my strength. I hear a snap, and his body fall limp and hits the ground. I turn around and am smacked across the face with a hammer. I recover quickly though, and kick her in the stomach, knocking her to the ground. I use the bottom of the shield, which is relatively sharp, and smash it into her spine, killing her. I see that the others have retreated back to their allies and started fighting in the crowd of warriors again. I look to the dead bodies I have killed, and saw that one of the devils had a few flammable flask on him. I picked them up, and threw them into the crowd.

And at that moment, I realized what I had done.

All I heard were screams of pain and people yelling in pain. The smell of burning flesh filled the air, as bodies slowly hit the ground. How could I have done this? I have killed more men than I have saved. I slowly walk forward, seeing that I have killed all the fallen angels and devils that were still fighting. There is fire all around me. There is no way for me to make it out. A fitting end I guess. No monster like me deserves to make it out of here alive. I take off my helmet, and see the fire getting closer and closer. I grab the cross around my neck once more. I then say another prayer, asking god to forgive me for what I have done today. I also ask him to protect those who I have saved, and to forgive both devils and fallen angels, for none of us were in the right today. Then I sit down, and just wait for the fire. It will be my inevitable end. This is my fate.

A/N: Hey guys, I decided to make another Dxd story, but this one will be a lot more serious, and probably a lot darker than my other one. I will be updating my other Dxd story more often, this is just a side project that I will work on when I have time. This will also follow the story of the anime, so don't worry. So yeah, I hope you guys will enjoy this story, and let me know what you think.