006 Survival Is A Talent

CHAPTER SIX / VOL

CHAPTER SIX / VOL. I, SURVIVAL IS A TALENT

MURPHY'S LAW STATES: anything that can go wrong will go wrong

That's how Will finds herself falling from the frigid skies with the wind at her heels as she plummets towards the ground like an all too palpable shooting star. Another law she supposes; what goes up must come down. But Will isn't bound by laws of any manifestation or the binding ties of fate. Ever her father's daughter, Will Capote is too stuck on anarchy and the politics of bloodshed to concern herself with the simple nature of aligned stars. The only kind of fate that she believed in was Nemesis; a righting of wrongs or at least some kind of chaos that wasn't without its reasoning, unlike Ares whose violence was unwarranted and hungry in the depraved way of a wild animal.

She should have known that something like this would happen. Relying on anyone else would always lead to disaster or something scarily close. Will would normally never have made such a simple mistake as falling asleep; instead, opting to take the night watch, even if she had bags under her eyes and her bones ached in the morning as a consequence. At least they'd be alive. But she let her guard down which proves to be fatal. The bulk of it is that Will can't keep reliving the past; it's draining and painful and increasingly harder for her to escape the amber of each moment. That's why Will couldn't keep her eyes open that night. That's why she wakes to falling and thinks it must be well deserved.

Oh well, Will thinks, spreading her limbs to maximize the surface area. Too little, too late.

The wind beating against her exposed skin is an unwelcome feeling, violent and piercing as it strikes at her soft cheeks, threatening to rip the flesh from her bones. Next to her, Piper is falling with a look of fear across her gentle face that's unfamiliar to Will. The daughter of Aphrodite's arms are clutched against her chest and her expression turns to a grimace as the wind stings her eyes. A figure shoots past the two, which Will easily identifies as Leo, flailing his arms and screaming so much that his lungs should shatter. She would roll her eyes if she could, but she can't because they're too dry and it feels like they might burst from the force of the wind. So instead she just watches the scene play out, far too at ease for someone who's falling to their demise.