Study, Swerves and Slings

The three of us were sitting in Luke's diner, finishing off our dinner as Kirk walks up to us. 

"Ah, Lorelai, good. I need one minute of your time." He says standing between mum and I. 

"I'll give you two because you scare me." She smiles.

"I hear through the grapevine that you are the one in charge of selecting the movie for this year's movie night?"

"Yes, I am."

"Okay, well, I don't know if you know this about me, but I have great creative ambitions."

"I did not know that about you, Kirk."

"Yeah neither did I." I say. 

"It's true. Don't get me wrong, I love the blue collar work. I enjoy the plight of the every man. But as much as the mail letter delivered and the DSL line installed and the latest J. Lo flick rented fills me with a deep sense of pride, in my soul I am Akira Kurosawa."

"Seven Samurai, great movie."

"Excuse me?"

"Seven Samurai."

"I'm sorry, I don't – ."

"Akira Kurosawa directed Seven Samurai. It's a great Japanese movie."

"Japanese movie? No, I'm sorry, I have the wrong person. Who's the guy who directed all those Facts of Life's?"

"I don't – ."

"Assad Kelada, sorry. In my soul I know I am Assad Kelada."

"Kirk is there a point to all of this?" I ask.

"What do you need from me, Kirk?" Mum asks.

"I've made a short film that I've been working on for about five years now and if I rush, I can have done my Thursday night. I'm very proud of it, and I was wondering if you would consider screening it before the movie tomorrow. It would mean a great deal to my career."

"Oh boy, I wanna watch that." I smirk.

"Well, uh, what kind of movie is it?"

"Oh, you mean is it blue? No, perfectly PG."

"Uh huh."

"It's not exactly Babe, it's more like Babe 2."

"Got it."

"Same pig, harder edge."

"Okay, Kirk, I hear you. I wanna help you. Let me think about it and I'll get back to you."

"Here's a copy of the film. Take a look and call me. And remember, I can edit out two of the hells but I need to keep all the damns. It's a street cred thing." He hands us the tape, abruptly leaving straight after handing the tape.

"Bye Kirk. Well, at least now I have something fun to do tonight."

"You're not watching that without me." I giggle, pointing to mum.

"Okay, I'll wait. So, um. . .ooh, do either of you wanna get some pie?"

"No I'm full." Rory sighs.

"Yeah same."

"Coffee? How 'bout some coffee?"

"No we're good." Rory speaks for the two of us.

"Hot chocolate?"

"No thanks."

"Egg cream? Now, I never had an egg cream but it sounds just disgusting enough to be fabulous."