(Hanahaki Disease au) Rantaro Amami x reader: Will Love Bloom, or Wilt?

Hanahaki... the disease sprouted from a one-sided love. The disease that proves that love can kill. The disease in which said person coughs up flower petals due to a flower growing inside of their lungs. There are four stages to this disease caused by love. The first stage is where the person starts coughing up a light flow of flower petals. The second stage makes coughing fits more frequent, more flower petals coming out than before. The third stage gives you uncontrollable coughing fits. These coughing fits happen very often. The petals get bigger during this stage, and the person starts coughing up blood. The fourth and final stage, fills your windpipe with petals and large amounts of blood. The petals will block off your airway, killing you from either suffocation, or the flower in your lungs will bloom and cause the lungs to collapse.

(y/n), (l/n) was a 17 year old girl at Kameko High School. She had (e/c) eyes , and (h/l), (h/c) hair. She commonly wore a (f/c) short v-neck dress with black leggings and boots. She was by far the nicest popular girl in her school. She was sweet caring, out going, and very kind. She worries about everyone, and gives others moral support. At school, (y/n) was known as the charismatic girl with a good nature. Despite her personality, (y/n) was not as happy-go-lucky as she seemed.
A few days prior, she had begun to develop a serious condition. This condition has one cause. That cause is unrequited love. This condition was commonly known as "Hanahaki Disease". (y/n) had been recently overcome with sudden coughing fits for days. These coughing fits caused (y/n) pain in both her throat and her lungs.
The person that caused her this pain was someone from her school. This person was named Rantaro Amami. He had pale green hair and eyes. His style was also something to behold. He wore a gray shirt with darker stripes and a compass design. His pants were dark brown, and he had normal sneakers on. He had five cartilage piercings in his right ear, along with one lobe piercing in each ear. He was the most popular guy at Kameko High School with his good looks and cool personality....

(y/n) stifled a small giggle as she walked down the hall with her friend Kaede. Kaede was addicted to music. It shows in her outfit style which made (y/n) smile about Kaede's passion.
"You know Kaede, it takes a lot of talent and perseverance to be engaged in a talent as much as you are," (y/n) told her friend, with a lighthearted smile.
"(y/n), come on... it isn't that great. You are a lot better than I am. You treat everyone so well despite being popular. Are you sure you aren't a mean girl on the inside?" Kaede asked in response.
"What?! Kaede don't say that! I love being nice to other people! I don't want to use them!" (y/n) shouted in protest.
"I was joking. You should be a little less uptight about it. You get so defensive over this sort of thing," Kaede replied.
"Hey... it's not my fault," (y/n) replied with a slight frown.
"Totally is pal," Kaede replied with a light smirk.
(y/n) dismissed her friend's comment with a really unimpressed look as they walked. A few minutes of light chatter later, the duo made their way over to their lockers. (y/n) felt a pain in her throat as she let out a small cough. She hoped to god that there weren't any petals this time, because she didn't want to worry her friend. She felt a weight in her chest. The weight brought slight pain. She felt like she was going to have another coughing fit. (y/n) hoped that something would happen, so she could run to the nearest bathroom.

As if her prayers were answered, the bell rang at Kameko High School, telling the other students that it was time to go to class. The two friends got their stuff before parting ways to get to class. Once Kaede was out of sight, (y/n) sprinted down the hall, trying to get to the nearest girls bathroom. The halls were nearly empty because mostly everyone was in class. (y/n) saw the door to the girls bathroom. She entered the room with all of her energy. (y/n) panted as she walked slowly to the garbage can near the sink before letting out another coughing fit. This time, White Gardenia petals burst out of her mouth and into the trash can.
(y/n) hacked and coughed as some more of the Gardenia petals came out of her mouth. Her throat burned, and her lungs ached with the feeling of being weighed down. A few minutes after the coughing fit started, (y/n) heard what sounded like footsteps outside of the girls bathroom door. (y/n) started to panic.
'What if I get caught?' she thought, 'I can't let anyone find out! It'll get spread around the whole school!'
Without another moment to spare, (y/n) ran into the bathroom stall, hiding from whoever was going to come in. The door opened slowly with an unsatisfying screech. The echo of footsteps was louder than before. It beat though (y/n)'a skull with every second that had gone by.
The person that walked in ran a hand through their long wavy pink hair. The girl wore a bright pink croptop with booty shorts of a lighter shade of pink. The teachers knew they wouldn't be able to do anything about this person's style because they kept coming back to school with the same kind of stuff on. That person was Miu Iruma. She was another one of the popular girls. She was even more popular than (y/n) with her big bust and butt. This girl had come into the bathroom to reapply some mascara.
Miu wasn't too fond of (y/n). Miu wasn't just not fond of (y/n). This girl hated her. She hated (y/n) because of her goody-two-shoe nature. She hated how nice and outgoing (y/n) was. She wanted to find something to ruin (y/n)'a popularity throughout the whole school. Miu walked up to the mirror, taking out the small tube of expansive mascara she had. She reapplied it to her eyes. While she was doing so, a smudge of mascara appeared above her eye.
"Shit!" Miu cursed, slamming her fist onto the bathroom countertop.
In a fit of rage, Miu punched the bathroom stall next to the one (y/n) was in. Miu then kicked the the stall with considerable force. The door violently swung open, hitting the toilet repeatedly making a loud sound each time. (y/n) was basically quaking with fear at Miu's outburst.
Miu groaned and got some paper towel from the paper towel holder used to dry peoples hands. She wet the paper towel slightly and rubbed the excess mascara off her eyelid. Once she was done with that, she made her way over to the same trash can that (y/n) used for her coughed up Gardenia petals. Miu threw the used paper towel into the trash can, and looked inside of it.
Miu saw a bunch of damp White Gardenia petals in the trash can. Her eyes widened slightly at her discovery. Miu then smirked at what was discarded in the trash can.
"So someone has the Hanahaki Disease... I oh so wonder who it is. I hope they are ok," Miu mocked with fake concern.
Miu let out a loud laugh before leaving the bathroom. (y/n) was left as a shocked mess. The person that hated her most had found out that someone had the Hanahaki Disease. Miu obviously didn't know it was (y/n), but (y/n) was still scared. She knew she only had one choice. She had to not show any symptoms or else she'd be found out. (y/n) started to panic slightly, exciting the stall before pacing around the room. After a few minutes, (y/n) ran out of the bathroom to her first class of the day.
The first periods of the day passed by with the same thought in (y/n)'s mind.
'Will Miu find out its me?'
Soon enough, it was lunchtime at Kameko High School. The cafeteria was buzzing with life from many different students with different food choices. (y/n) looked around while she was in the lunch line. Her eyes stopped when she saw Rantaro eating lunch with his friend Shuichi. (y/n) seemed at ease when she was just looking at Rantaro. The lunch line slowly got smaller, and soon enough (y/n) got her food.
(y/n) started to make her way to the table Kaede was at. Along the way was the table that Miu and her friends sat at. (y/n) repeatedly told herself to keep cool, don't show any weakness. She started to walk past their table.
"So Angie, I made a discovery," Miu told the people at her table.
"What is it? I'm really interested to know," Angie replied in her light voice.
"Someone in our school has the Hanahaki Disease. I found White Gardenia petals in the trash can in the bathroom. Judging the person, they probably will die soon. It's not my problem," Miu replied, shrugging at her statement.
(y/n) seemed to pause for a moment from hearing that come from Miu's mouth. She decided not to say anything because she didn't want to give herself away. With a heart starting to fill with grief, (y/n) joined her friend at their usual spot in the cafeteria.
After lunch, everyone went back to their classes. Soon enough, those classes ended as well. Before walking home, (y/n) went to the bathroom, having another coughing fit. The pain in her chest seemed to worsted from each coughing fit she had. More White petals went into the trash can, yet relieving the pain for now. (y/n) then left the school, walking slowly back to her house.
(y/n) hummed to herself lightly as she walked. She had spent so much time in the bathroom that she decided to take an alleyway shortcut to her house. Her ears then perked up when she heard something. It sounded like meowing. Perhaps it was a cat. (y/n) was very curious so she went down the alleyway where the sound was coming from. The sound got closer, and closer, until she had gotten close enough to see a shocking sight to her.
Rantaro was bent over in the alleyway, giving some soft food to a couple of stray kittens. His eyes held a very soft and content look, and he was smiling. Rantaro normally acted as one of the cooler kids, who aren't too soft, and here (y/n) was, witnessing a softer side it Rantaro. (y/n) then let out a few coughs, causing the sound to echo.
Rantaro shot up, being shocked that someone saw him. His wide shocked eyes stared deeply into (y/n)'s. There was an awkward silence between them for about a minute before someone spoke up.
"U-Uh... hi Rantaro," (y/n) greeted.
"Hey there.... you're (y/n), (l/n) correct?" Rantaro asked.
"Yeah... that's me," I replied, rubbing the back of my head nervously.
Rantaro smiled lightly at her to ease the tension. He was hiding the fact that he was nervous about one of the popular kids finding out that he was softer than he let out to be. Rantaro wasn't a fan of gossip, so he wanted to make it a mission to make sure she said nothing.
"My name is Rantaro Amami. I'd like to at least give a proper introduction," Rantaro told her.
"Yeah I know. And as you know, I'm (y/n), (l/n)," (y/n) replied.
(y/n) was very happy. She finally was getting to talk to Rantaro. She felt another cough coming due to the nervousness. She coughed a bit, but this time there were no White Gardenia petals. Once she was done coughing, she walked over to where Rantaro was, and kneeled on the ground. She started to pet the kittens lightly as they ate.
"This is a very nice thing you did you know," (y/n) told Rantaro, "these little guys don't exactly have a home. I don't think that most people would go out if their way to buy food for stray cats, but you did. It's a great thing that you care."
Rantaro seemed very shocked at what (y/n) said. He never expected a popular girl to be this kindhearted. He knew for a fact that most of them would gossip about this, but he had to be sure that she wouldn't.
"Say, would you like to hang out with me tonight? It's Friday so you don't have to worry about school," Rantaro offered.
(y/n)'s eyes seemed to glow at that question. She was still petting the kittens, but she had a bright smile on her face.
"I would love to! Where would you like to hang out?" (y/n) asked happily.
"How about the park? We could sit on the swings and talk," Rantaro replied.
"That's a great idea. I just need to call my mom to tell her where I am," (y/n) told him.
As (y/n) called her parents, Rantaro observed her actions. Rantaro knew this from the countless times that girls asked to hang out with him. None of them told their parents where they were. Seeing (y/n) thinking about her parents, and making sure to let them know she was safe, it made Rantaro almost instantly know that she was different than the other popular girls at school. (y/n) then got off the phone and smiled at him.
"My Mother said it was ok to go, so let's go!" (y/n) exclaimed happily.
"Ok then, come on. I know a shortcut," Rantaro replied with a gentle smile.
Rantaro and (y/n) made their way towards the park. They had small conversations along the way to pass the time. (y/n) started coughing a little, still it being at least a bit normal. The park they were going to wasn't very big. There was only a swing set and a small slide. The view though was beautiful. It was the perfect spot for them to focus on talking. They got there about ten minutes after they started walking. They made their way over to the swing set. They sat in the swings and stared out into the landscape.
"So (y/n), what are your perks for being popular?" Rantaro asked, looking out into the distance.
"Well.... I'd say the only perk for me is the friends I make. I don't even get why popularity exists. It basically is just a worthless status. I don't like to take advantage of other people nor do I like to spread rumors that hurt others," (y/n) explained.
"So you're telling me that you just cherish the friends you make?" Rantaro asked in response.
"Basically. I'm not popular because I'm pretty or anything. I'm popular because I treat people the way they should be treated," (y/n) replied with a light smile.
Rantaro couldn't believe what he heard. This girl before him was very sweet and kind. She wasn't popular because of her appearance, but she was popular because of her kind personality. She put others before herself, and that was something that Rantaro would look up to. Not to mention, but Rantaro also thought she was kind of cute.
"What's your family like?" (y/n) asked, "I want to know how you turned out to be such a great person."
Rantaro was shocked once again. No one normally asked him about his life. The girls at his school flirted with him because of his looks. It refreshed him to find such a nice girl. Perhaps she'd make a very great friend for him.
"My Mother and father are very rich. We used to travel a lot. I had twelve sisters. They are very important to me," Rantaro explained.
"What were they like?" (y/n) asked.
"They were very energetic. All of them were younger than me. They are the light of my life," Rantaro replied.
(y/n) smiled brightly at Rantaro. A light blush appeared on her face. She was still very happy that Rantaro wanted to hang out with her.
"To be honest, I was kinda worried that you'd gossip about me for the whole feeding stray kittens thing," Rantaro admitted.
"I would never do that. Like I said. It was nice of you to do it. I'll keep it between us, alright?" (y/n) replied.
Rantaro smiled brightly at her. He knew right then, right there that they'd be friends. They talked for the next couple of hours about their interests. (y/n) was very fond of anime and manga, and Rantaro was a part of the Adventure Club. (y/n) revealed to him that she's always wanted to travel. She told him about how much she wanted to explore the world, and see new things. This interest bonded then closer as more friends.
Rantaro walked (y/n) back to her house when they were done hanging out. The frequent thing that happened during the conversations was (y/n)'s constant coughing. Rantaro thought she had allergies or a cold. They got to the front of her house. Rantaro smiled at (y/n).
"On Monday, you should stop by the Adventure Club. I would love to hang out with you more," Rantaro told her.
"Well I'd love to Rantaro. I'll see you Monday," (y/n) replied before going into her house.
The girl greeted her parents before going to hang out in her room. She sighed lightly in happiness. Her crush wanted to hang out with her. The only thought that lingered, was the fact that they might just stay friends. (y/n) started coughing a little bit, few white petals fluttering out. That was all that came out though.