Chapter 4

"Don't you just love dancing?" I said with overdone cheerfulness. "Isn't it the most wonderful thing? I simply adore dancing at balls. I wasn't allowed for so long when I was younger. I thought I'd die from wanting it so badly."

Given the way Henry typically behaved, it was harder to pinpoint what might successfully drive him away. But then I realized that he likely despised anything silly or frivolous, so I decided that was my best angle. I voiced any and every ridiculous thought that came into my head. Of course, he wouldn't want to be openly rude and tell me to be quiet, but it was easy to tell that the insipid, petty chatter was irritating him. And of course, I wasn't giving him the option to contribute much to the conversation.

"Gwen - she's my sister, you know. Gwen doesn't like dancing. She calls it organized torture. I suppose she's just not mature enough to really appreciate it."

On and on I chatted, barely even knowing what I was saying half the time. At one point, I think I was talking about the hay in the stables.

To his credit, Henry did a decent job of pretending to be interested in my monologue, but there were times when he wasn't able to cover his incredulity or confusion over how I could possibly talk so much or about so many stupid things. I really wanted to know what he was thinking, however that wouldn't help me achieve my goal of getting rid of him.

Once the dance was over, Henry returned me to Grandfather's side and didn't waste much time lingering. Mentally congratulating myself, I happily bid him good bye.

"So, what do you think, my dear?" Grandfather asked once we stood alone.

"He was very nice," I said. "We had a lovely conversation."

"Glad to hear it," he said, clueless to the reason behind my smile. "And what of the others?"

"Oh, they were all very polite. Though, I'm not sure they liked me very much." May as well prepare him for their rejection, while I was at it.

"I'm sure that's not true." Grandfather chuckled, mistaking my honesty for modesty. "Any man would be out of his mind not to see the gem that you are."

"Thank you." I ducked my head, holding back a laugh. Any man would be out of his mind not to run away after my performance tonight.

Grandfather was approached by one of the dignitaries visiting with the princes just then, and I was free to rejoin Lily and Matthew.

"How did it go?" Lily asked when I reached them.

"Magnificently." I grinned. "I wonder if they will all compare notes later and realize that they met three entirely different people."

Matthew and Lily laughed.

"I don't expect that they'll linger any longer than absolutely necessary," I added happily. "I'd wager that they're all certain that I am their worst nightmare."

"Not that I'm saying that's a bad thing, but what do you suppose will happen if you have successfully gotten rid of them?" Matthew asked, practical as ever.

"I'm sure there will be no shortage of potential suitors thrown at me. But at least those three are likely off the table now. Grandfather won't be happy, of course, but what can he do really? It's not as if I'm the one refusing them."

Lily grinned. "You'll have to tell me what you did to them later. That could come in quite handy."

I laughed. "We'll talk after the ball."

"Oh no..." Lily's expression morphed into one of dread. "Matthew, dance with me. Quick!"

"What?" He laughed.

"Prescott Ainsley is on his way over. Do you have any idea what that man is like? Prince Sebastian looks like a prize next to him!"

"I've already danced with you twice to avoid your other admirers. You wouldn't want people thinking very interesting things about our family, would you?" he said, referencing the two dance limit for platonic couples.

"Everyone knows we're always together," Lily tried desperately.

Too late now. I hid my smirk as Prescott stepped forward, watching Lily admiringly.

"Your Highness," he said, bowing and acknowledging me first out of obligation before he looked at Lily again. "Miss Graham. You are both breathtaking this evening. Miss Graham, might I have the pleasure of this dance?"

One of the only benefits of being the princess was that men like Prescott didn't delude themselves into thinking they had a shot with me. He wasn't nearly high up enough socially for Grandfather to approve. Otherwise, I'd have been in the same unfortunate boat as Lily, being hunted by literally every man who was looking to better himself by marrying well. Socially speaking, Lily was almost as good a marriage trophy as I was, but she wasn't nearly as unattainable. Or so they believed.

If I hadn't had such a long night already with the princes, I'd have felt more sympathy for Lily. To some degree, I did, but I was also finding it very amusing at the moment. Why should I have to suffer all alone?

"Yes, of course," Lily answered, forcing a smile since she really had no choice but to accept.

"Have a good time, Lily dear," I said, reminding her of her own idea.

Smiling a little more genuinely, she nodded and allowed herself to be pulled away by Prescott.

Matthew was smirking when I looked at him. "You could have done something," I scolded halfheartedly. He may not have been able to dance with Lily again, but he could have escorted her somewhere, stopping Prescott before he reached us.

"Yes, but where would the fun be in that?" he said. "Besides, she's been using me all evening for that purpose. We've got to give the unfortunate men something. After all, it's not as if they have a chance."

Chuckling, I shook my head.

"Uh oh..."

"What?" I asked, suddenly nervous at Matthew's tone.

"I think you're being targeted this time."

"Who?" I didn't want to risk looking at the man and locking myself into another dance.

"I don't remember his name, but he's definitely got his eye on you. Care to dance?"

As much as I liked dancing, I was tired from my performance earlier.

"I think I'll just conveniently slip away," I said, quickly turning to go.

Matthew laughed and I hurried out of dodge, weaving in between several people to make sure I wasn't easy to follow. When I reached my intended spot, I turned to look behind me. Satisfied that I had escaped, I quickly slipped behind the curtain that hid the smaller room that most people didn't realize was there. When I was a child, I used to hide in the same room to watch the events that I wasn't allowed to attend.

Peeking out of the curtain, I saw Quentin Lawson standing not very far away, looking confused. Smirking, I made a note to thank Matthew later for the warning.

"Hiding away?" The voice came from behind me, nearly scaring the life out of me.