Chapter 5

Barely keeping from screaming, I whipped around, losing my balance and almost falling through the curtain. The man who'd startled me, caught my arms and kept me from making an enormous fool of myself.

"Careful." He laughed, steadying me.

I didn't know who this man was and I wasn't sure I liked him. I yanked my arms free and stared at him suspiciously.

"So, were you successful?" he asked, not seeming bothered.

"What are you doing in here?" I ignored his question.

"Probably the same thing you're doing." He smiled. "Hiding."

He had to know who I was. Everyone did. Why was he being so informal? He wasn't part of any of the royal families or even one of the dignitaries that I knew of. And there were few I didn't recognize. So why wasn't he acting the way he was supposed to? I didn't mind exactly, but it was strange.

"May I?" he asked after a moment where I silently continued to watch him suspiciously

Not having any idea what he meant, I raised my eyebrows in question. He smiled again and gestured to the curtain behind me.

"Oh..." I moved out of the way so he could look.

He stepped forward and peered into the ballroom for a moment before he laughed.

"Ah, I see," he said, turning to me again. "Poor man doesn't have a shot, does he?"

Unable to help it, I smiled. "Not remotely, but he doesn't know that."

He chuckled.

"Who are you?" I asked bluntly. After all, if he was going to be informal, I may as well be too.

"Name's Jonathan." He bowed grandly, overdoing it intentionally.

Again it was strange that he didn't give his full name, but I was beginning to like the novelty of talking to him. No man outside of my family ever seemed this relaxed around me.

"And who are you hiding from?" I asked instead of demanding to know who exactly he was.

"Well, I'm not precisely sure," he said. "You see, I'm visiting an aunt and she positively insists on introducing me to every female that she deems a promising match. After several incredibly dull conversations, I was forced to seek refuge."

I laughed, deciding that I liked him. "Then you were correct. We are here for the same purpose. Though I'm surprised you were able to find it. Most people haven't a clue this room exists."

"I'm rather good at locating things when I need to," he said.

"Who is your aunt?" I wondered if I should know him. It seemed unlikely that I wouldn't at least know who his aunt was. If she was in the position to make numerous introductions of upper class girls, she must be very socially prominent.

He smiled mischievously. "I think I'd like to hear your guesses."

I attempted to keep a straight face. "I could order you to tell me."

"You could," he agreed. "But that would be rather dull, wouldn't it?"

Pursing my lips, I watched him for a moment before deciding to play along.

"I take it that your aunt lives here in the kingdom?"

"Naturally." He seemed pleased that I was willing to go along with his game.

"And she's rather elevated in Society?"

"Would I be here otherwise?"

I looked at him critically for a minute, trying to figure out if I recognized any of his features. I didn't, but I did decide that he was very handsome. He was older than me, but I guessed only by a few years. He was tall but not too tall, and thin but muscular. The lighting was relatively dim in this room, but I guessed his hair was a nice chestnut color. His eyes were lighter, though it was impossible to tell their exact color. And those features that I failed to recognize were very attractive.

"Virginia Hanson?" I guessed, having no clue where to begin. There were literally hundreds of women who could be his aunt.

"Nope."

"Angelica Raines?" I tried again.

"Never heard of her." He smiled.

"Miranda Goode?"

He laughed. "No."

I must have guessed fifty names and I was wrong every time. After a while, I began looking into the ballroom to get ideas. It was impossible to take inventory of everyone in attendance though, and I began to forget which names I had guessed and which ones I hadn't. Eventually, I decided that maybe something would come to me if I talked with him a while longer. So I did. I stayed hidden with him for most of the remainder of the evening, enjoying his carefree personality and ability to joke about everything.

When I casually reappeared in the ballroom, I was happy for two reasons. First, the dancing was over and people were beginning to say their good byes. And second, Jonathan told me that he'd be staying in the kingdom for a while. He said that he planned to visit the castle from time to time and would be sure to see me again soon.

Who could have guessed that I'd find one man I actually liked at the ball? Though I wish I knew exactly who he was so I could figure out if there was any hope of a future with him.

Although, I thought, smiling as I made my way over to Lily and Matthew, it would be fun finding out.